Rusty Brake Lines anyone?

Old 11-02-2004, 02:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Rusty Brake Lines anyone?

Has anyone else had problems with the brake lines rusting out? I've had two let go in as many months. The truck's a '97, but it has under 65k miles and I hardly ever drive it in the winter. I know PA uses alot of salt, but every line is rusted, all the way up to the master cylider. I'm looking at having to replace them all or a crash and burn. Definitely not cool!

Old 11-02-2004, 04:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck is sidelined right now for the same thing. I blew a brake line, the one that runs the whole length of the frame right at the rear fitting, on Saturday. I am going to put it up on a lift and fix it this Thursday.

If anyone has any tips or tricks please post them.

Old 11-02-2004, 09:30 PM
Sorry guys, there really isn't an easy way to do that job. It's a tight, tough, PITA job. The only good thing about doing it yourself is it will save you a TON of labor $$$.

I had to do a similar job on my '69 Tbird, and it wasn't fun. The best way to tackle it is to cut the lines at the fittings,(if your not trying to save any part of it) get a socket or a flare nut wrench on the fitting and break 'em loose. The other headache you will encounter is where the lines are clipped to the frame. I found it some what easier to cut or break the line close to the clip and then work it free of the clip.

Getting the new line back in will be tricky too. Although now you will know where the clips are so you can snap the new line in place.

Try your best not to damage any bends or curves in the old line because you can use them as a template to bend the new line to fit. Sometimes because of space being tight it's sometimes easier to install the new line in two pieces. As far as tools you will need a good flaring tool to form the ends into the fittings, a tubing bender, tubing cutters work best, but a hacksaw or cutoff tool will work too.

Hope this helps and with some patience you can get those rigs back on the road where they belong!

Old 11-08-2004, 04:11 PM
Here in NYS everything rusts on vehicles due to winter and road salt- so far - the ole brakes lines are holding up.

Old 11-09-2004, 05:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The lines on these trucks do seem to suck. Mine are pretty rusty/pitted so are the fuel and vapor lines. I painted everything i could reach with zero-rust paint. I hope it makes them last!

Old 11-09-2004, 06:10 PM
go with stainless steel brake lines, or move down here to Texas so you won't have to worry about it.

Old 11-10-2004, 07:51 AM
I live in Pittsburgh Pa and my '95 f150 brakes just gave out on me too. Was driving home and the medal went all the way to the floor.

The long brake line running to the rear burst right at the place it links to the flex hose. So when i was trying to find the broken spot, I noticed that there are several MORE rusty spots. I'm basically going to need to run brake lines and get the connectors for the flex hoses over the entire truck.

I really don't want to do this myself, but i bet the labor charge on this would be bank-breaking.

Good-luck
Jay

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rusty Brake Lines anyone?