Brakes Have me Puzzled

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 10:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Brakes Have me Puzzled

Well this is my first post here but man what a wealth of knowledge. i've searched the archives through the last year and havn't found really any DISTINCT threads taht encompass what i have wrong with the truck.

The truck is a 98 F150 4x4 regular cab flareside. For the first 50000 miles everything was peachy. then the fun began with the brakes. Wheel hop became an issue. I replaced shocks all of the way around at 24 and 48000, and every 25K or so since. the wheel hopping did not stop or start with the shock changes. After i replaced the front rotors and pads at about 55K it went away for a while. i have since gone through rotors again and pads a few times and sit at 163,000 miles.

for about the last 40000 miles since i locked em up avoiding a deer the brake AND ABS light have been on in the dash. when it rains they both go out and the brakes change drastically. they actually work like they should. but once she dries up they'll come back ona nd the pedal is very spongy and it just doesn't have the respoinse it should.

i've also been battling dragging front pads. the last set was worn on a distinct angle. the rotors are not warped appreciably but i am beginnning to feel a slight pulsation in the pedal which tells me they are.

at one point last winter the left front was so tight that i could not lay my hand on the rim. i had this happen a couple of times so i replace the caliper. the condition got better but i still make a lot of brake dust. the wheel hop is back also...

as far as rears it has new drums and shoes. a new hardware kit. the abs actuator cable was broken and is now replaced on both sides. still have this issue though.

i feel i have a "few" different issues going on here but havn't been able to really get rid of them to any great extent. i don't let the calipers hang by the hose but i can't say they didn't fall and hang once or twice... so it is quite possible i collapsed a hose internally and taht is where i shall go next with that issue.

the brake light / abs light intermittent has me puizzled though.. and when they are off it brakes well... when they are on.. well it will stop but you have to use more pedal and begin sooner... almost like it is low of fluid or low on line pressure. but all fluidlevels are up to the top and everything is bled.

aside from the rear window seal leaking AGAIN after repaired long ago under warranty this is the only issue i've ahd with the truck. heck i am only on my 3rd set of tires in 160,000 miles and these are only 1/3 gone... none of the others were below 1/3 tread left when i replaced em... she's been a good truck.

time to rebuild the front suspension and do a few other helpers so she'll go for another 150K

thanks for all of your help eh

Jamie

Old 10-05-2004, 08:45 PM
through some more searching and reading i have managed to find MOST of my issues... #1 4 blinks of the light... so off to find the gremlin i went...

for those of you who have this issue... go to the solenoid under the master cylinder and remove the plug... the rubber seal in mine was pinched which allowed water to enter over the last 6 years or so... and well a little chemistry with road salt and such and whala... pin #2 from the engine side rotted right off... great... guess we get to buy a new one of those...

sources for this component anyone????

i've also purchased 2 new front brake hoses since my calipers have fallen a time or twowhile replacing brakes and ive had brake binding issues after application of brakes... new caliper on front left did not repair this so off we go for this route...

Thanks for all of the history and information here

Jamie

Old 10-06-2004, 11:34 AM
how often do you rotate your tires?

how do you put your wheels back on?

what brand of new brake parts are you using?

make sure the ABS pick ups are clean as well because they are magnetic and collect metal shavings.

good luck-

Old 10-06-2004, 10:22 PM
I would say you are headed in the right direction Jamie.

Replacing all the rubber lines and bleeding the system and new fluid should make a world of difference. With 163 K miles, those parts are all worn out.

Draggin brakes can be caused by bad lines from frame to rotor that expand when brakes are applied, but return slowly, causing a build up of pressure in the line causing the caliper not to release fully.

If you had less miles I would say it is well worth getting braided lines, but not worth the cost at your millage.

Anyway, replace the rubber lines and any other that appear corroded, new fluid, and sure you will seen some major improvements.

Sled...

Last edited by sleddogg; 10-06-2004 at 10:36 PM.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by sleddogg
I would say you are headed in the right direction Jamie.

Replacing all the rubber lines and bleeding the system and new fluid should make a world of difference. With 163 K miles, those parts are all worn out.

Draggin brakes can be caused by bad lines from frame to rotor that expand when brakes are applied, but return slowly, causing a build up of pressure in the line causing the caliper not to release fully.

If you had less miles I would say it is well worth getting braided lines, but not worth the cost at your millage.

Anyway, replace the rubber lines and any other that appear corroded, new fluid, and sure you will seen some major improvements.

Sled...
Thanks Sled,

lines are done, yes that corrected the front left caliper binding. i still get a lot of hop going on... but it is intermittent.

i also replaced the RABS valve under the master cylindre since the pin in mine was corroded and broken off, causing the ABS and brake light to come on... 4 flashes of the ABS light. a good used one from the local junk yard sufficed nicely. the rubber seal in the connector was pinched and rolled allowing salt and grime and water into the connector...

everything has fresh fluid in it again...

brakes are 100% better than they were and are again consistant in operation short of the shudder now and again. Rotors are not warped but they are getting to replacement time... it has fresh pads on it with cleaned up rotors and fresh shoes and hardware in the rear.

as far as how do i put my tires on and rotate.. rotation happens every 5K at oil change interval and light run down on the #1 setting on the ole snap-on gun in the ole star pattern follwed by the torque wrench... i run soft semi metallic pads which unfortunately make a lot of brake dust but that is to be expected... just means i have to wash the truck...

other than this and the back window leak - twice now - and the pinion nut loosening on me slinging oil she has been flawless since new... i can't complain.

jamie

Old 05-01-2007, 12:36 PM
98 Expidition

so I read this thread a couple of weeks ago and a couple of days ago I replaced the rubber hose on the left side of my wife's 98 Expidition as your description of the problem matched the issus we were having.

Bleed the brakes some and everything appeared to be working... until today when my wife backed out of the driveway, went to go forward and the brakes were locked up....

any suggestions on what to look at next to figure this out? I have yet to check it out, but will be doing that tonight.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:42 PM
forgot to mention

my wife did try setting and releasing the e-brake several times with no improvement.

Quick Reply: Brakes Have me Puzzled