Recalibrating Speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recalibrating Speedometer

Does anyone know how to re-calibrate the speedometer on a 2002 F350 7.3 Powerstroke? I have a 15" lift on this truck with 38" tires, so right now the speedometer is more than 10mph off at 60mph. I have a Superchip in this truck, but for this model you can't adjust for tire size. Will I be able to re-calibrate it and if so, how? Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 09-15-2004, 02:50 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
try superlift they make a true speed calibrator, try there website

Old 09-15-2004, 03:51 PM
Yeah, I looked at that product and that's a possibility. I was just wondering if there was a way to do it without getting something like that.

Old 09-15-2004, 08:54 PM
Well you can have the computer adjusted for tire size, BUT there is a problem here. Depending what gears you have will affect what route you can go here. The computer uses a rev/mi value to run the speedo and odometer. The problem comes in that the value cannot be lower than 601 rev/mi. This is basically 35" tires with stock gears. If you have gone to much deeper gears, say 4.56 or 4.88s, then you might still be able to have it reprogramed. Right now my money is going to be on the Superlift setup to make it right again.

Old 09-16-2004, 09:36 AM
See, here is another spot where I have problems. I bought this truck used and it had already been modified in a lot of places. I was told that the guy before me had the transmission custom built with different gears and that it has a different rear end on it, but no one told what gears it has. Is there any way for me to find this out easily?

Even if I go with the Superlift Tru-Speed product, won't I still have to know what gears it has to properly configure it?

Last edited by 350monster; 09-16-2004 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-18-2004, 12:01 PM
If the Superlift is anything like the JET accuspeed it only requires that you know the original tire size and the new tire size it comes with a guide that tells ya how many times to twist to adjust for tire size. I would go another route though cause your right you are still going to have to know the gear ratio's and with other tuners you can adjust for gear ratio's and non-stock wheels and tires. I bought the JET product and returned it...plug and play install required running 4 cables all over the truck and mounting the box inside the vehicle. I got the Hypertech Power Programmer but check with TroyerPerformance they seem to be very popular on this site. Got any pics of the truck?

Old 09-20-2004, 09:20 AM
Here's the BEAST:

Trending Topics

Old 09-20-2004, 01:49 PM
That a great looking truck

Old 09-20-2004, 03:41 PM
Thanks, but I just got some bad news today. Apparently here in Missouri they are passing a bill into law that will force me to lower my truck. Right now I'm trying to find out if I can build some type of bumper under the stock that will make it legal, but so far it's looking like I may have to spend another 4 grand to get it lowered back down to the new legal height. I don't understand how the government can do that to you. I just bought this truck about 6 weeks ago for $40,000 and now I find out I'm going to have to invest at least another $4,000 to make it legal under a law they just created. It just doesn't seem fair.

Old 09-20-2004, 05:39 PM
Sucks...Sounds like it might be cheaper to move the hell out of Missouri...I'd like to hear more details about that law sounds like b.s. but can they make it retroactive and really force you to lower? Are they measuring to the base of the bumper or frame or what and what is the height? Good Luck...don't let the man keep ya down stand "tall"

Old 09-21-2004, 10:29 AM
The way the law reads, it basically says, for any vehicle with a GVW of 9001-11500 pounds the front bumper height from level ground can be no more than 29 inches to the highest point of the bottom of the bumper and the rear is the same except its 31 inches. Right now my truck is at about 37 inches in the front and 40 in the rear. So far I haven't heard the exact date for when this goes into effect, but my guess would be Jan 1. My guess is that the way it will be enforced is your vehicle won't pass the state safety inspection if it's too high, thus not allowing you to renew your license plates.

Old 09-21-2004, 03:31 PM
that makes my truck look small i am very jelous, if i was you i would make some bumper brackets that drop the front and rear bumper so when you have to get it inspected you can just put those on and after you get it inspected put the bumpers back to the way they were before, if i was you that is what i would do

Old 09-21-2004, 03:33 PM
just thought of something else to lower it for when you get it inspected, it would look funny but it might lower it enough, throw the stock 31" tires on there and wala it is low enough to pass

Old 09-21-2004, 05:14 PM
I could do something like that, or just have a buddy of mine do the inspection and overlook the measuring of bumpers part. That would be easy and getting the tickets for having it too high doesn't even bother me that much, but IF I ever were to get into an accident with my truck after the law takes effect, even if the accident was of no fault of my own, I could get sued by the other driver for having an illegal vehicle. See how that could get really expensive, really fast? Everyone sues everyone these days and I don't want to get into a legal battle with someone over a few inches on my truck. It could just get really hairy. If I can take like tube bumpers off a jeep and somehow mount them underneath my stock bumpers, I think that wouldn't look too bad and would be the easiest answer to my problem. I just need to find out if that will be legal and if there are any aftermarket parts like that already.

Old 09-22-2004, 11:02 AM
you are probably going to have to have them made, i think some tubeular bumpers would look cool, i think it would look better if you just got rid of your stock bumpers and had some tube ones built, well good luck, and that is a sh%ty law

Quick Reply: Recalibrating Speedometer