2004 F150 Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 10:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 F150 Rotors

I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE WHO OWNS A 2004 F150 FX4 4X4 HAS NOTICE THE REAR ROTORS GETTING CUT UP. I STILL HAVE THIS PROBLEM AND SO FAR HAVE 28 PEOPLE WHO HAS THE SAME ISSUE.
2004 F150 FX4 4X4
2004 F150 LARIAT 4X4
THESE ARE THE TWO MODELS THAT I HAVE NOTICED THE PROBLEM WITH. ANYBODY ELSE????CHECK OUT MY LINK TO SEE A PHOTOMR BIGS TOY

Last edited by MRBIG; 09-12-2004 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-26-2004, 07:57 PM
2004 brakes

I have a 2004 F150 4x4 XLT, I have noticed excessive brake dust on front wheels so I have been keeping an eye on the brakes. I noticed this morning that there are grooves in the rotors already.
I only had the truck for 3 weeks and have 500 miles on it.
jimh625

Old 10-02-2004, 06:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had similar rotor problems

I've got a 2004 F-150 Lariat 4X2 with 15K miles on it. I had the rotors completely replaced at 12K due to horrible warping. In addition, the thing that made me have it towed to the dealer, was that I hopped in & drove about a block from my home, and the pedal went all the way to the floor.

Now, less than 2K miles later, I just had the new rotors resurfaced.

The dealer told me that he's heard that Ford is working on the problem, but they don't have the solution yet. I called Ford directly & reported the problem & they said they were passing it along for review. I also told the Ford people to come look here for comments on this problem.

If I have to have the rotors replaced again, I'm going to ask Ford to pay for non Ford product that won't be such a problem.

Old 10-02-2004, 09:57 PM
I have a non 4x4 2004 with the same problem...the front rotors started showing problems at ~1,500 miles...since I have dealt with Ford's attitude concerning their brakes, I haven't bothered at this point to take it in for warranty..they always seem to try and make you pay for something that is supposed to be covered by the 36,000 mile/3 year BUMPER TO BUMPER warranty...the last time I checked, the wheels were between the bumpers...

My truck currently has 7,500 miles on it and is 9 months old...it feels like the rotors are warped, but as best I can tell they aren't as the vibrating sensation is not always there...I am thinking something in the suspension is allowing the front wheels to move a bit...

Old 10-06-2004, 05:58 AM
DEK
F150 Rotors

I have had my front rotors turned twice and replaced twice. The problem started around 20,000 miles - I have 35,000 now.

If I listened to the dealer I would believe that the new material used on the pads is resposible for the damage to the rotors - however, the warranty won't allow for replacement of the pads with the older (softer) versions - instead we have to keep fixing the rotor problem.

I know very little about vehicles but a small Ford garage in Northern Maine recommended that the dealer consider the ABS sensor that might be unevenly or inappropriately applying pressure. I have no idea whether this could be it - the local dealer here dismissed the idea - but I don't believe them much anymore.

DEK

Old 10-06-2004, 11:29 AM
The ABS thing come up a lot at smaller shops because they are usually old school and don't like the modern stuff.

if the ABS was applying ANY force you would feel and here the ABS pump running.

I suspect from what I have read on here and experienced with my own truck is that stock the trucks come with Ceramic pads and really cheap rotors. And I believe that your rotors are getting scored either by something getting stuck in the pad or the pads have inconsistant material.

If any of you are fairly mechanically inclined take the wheel off and remove the caliper to see if anything is stuck in the pad.

I am convinced that the warpage is cause by two things. 1.) really crappy rotors and 2.) no one at the dealer/shop knows the proper way to put the wheels back on. Doesn't it always seem when you have some work done that requires the wheels to come off that your rotors warp shortly there after?

I got so sick of the brake problems that I had the dealer replace everything before my warranty ran out then I went home and took it all off (spares) and put on OEM Brembos and EBC 6000 pads from tirerack and I never let anyone take my wheels off and put them back on! I have gone over 40k this way and have not had one problem.

In fact I just replaced my rear pads and rotors which were metal on metal but still not warped!

Old 10-09-2004, 12:59 AM
I just got my 04 SCrew a week ago so no problems yet. Although on my 2000 4X4 Diesel Excursion I was having the same problems I am reading about here. I found a place from the ford diesel website http://www.appliedrotortechnology.com/ . There brakes are pretty well priced, I think I paid somewhere around $350 for front rotors and pads. I installed them in about an hour and noticed an immediate difference, better stopping and so far no warpage. I tow a 4,000 lb boat and it was a good investment over the replacing the stock ford brakes for the 3rd time. I have only put about 12,000 miles on the rotors and pads but others in that forum are claiming over 50,000 miles on there brakes while towing heavier trailers. I checked the brake guys website and it doesn't show up anything for the 04's yet but give them a call, also they gave me a better price over the phone than on there website.

Trending Topics

Old 10-10-2004, 01:33 PM
Unhappy

I've got a 2004 STX 4x2 with 13K miles on it now. Between June of this year and now, I've had the front rotors machined and pads replaced twice because of "Extreme Warping." I've resorted to this site like the rest of you because we don't know what else to do...
Just three weeks ago the fronts were machined again and they're already doing the same thing (thumping when pressure is applied and pedal going to the floor). Ford says they're 'working on it', and it's probably because of the way we drive...lol... A) my wife and I are good drivers, and B) If my wife drove any slower she'd be going backwards!!
Well, that's about all I've got to say, but it is nice to see that we're not the only ones with bad brakes on brand new trucks!

Old 10-10-2004, 02:37 PM
I've had a few mechanics tell me not to turn the rotors once they are warped, just throw them away. I find that after I have rotors turned I only get about 6,000 miles out of them and they are junk.

Old 10-11-2004, 07:52 AM
Its a shame that after spending over $30,000 for a new truck, that the company won't even stand behind there own products that they use. Maybe that why they have such a crappy warranty.
If i didn't love this truck so much I would have returned it, just because of the way the dealers give us the run around when there is a problem.
I have decided not to return the truck for any reason to the dealership and i am going to replace the rotors and pads. Its apparent that the only thing the dealers do is jerk us around and use the same crap "if" you could get them to fix it.
I don't want anyone thing i hate ford .....I love this truck.....Thats why i will fix it with the right stuff.....

Old 10-18-2004, 07:28 PM
I think the OEM brake pads are made of cast iron or granite. Whatever it is, it will put grooves in the rotors. I replaced my pads with ceramics. (the rotors were still in fair shape, although, I've seen rivets do less damage to them)
My truck is a 4X2 so it would seem that Ford needs to change brake pad vendors...Kevin

Old 10-18-2004, 07:31 PM
I'm just waiting for rotors and pads........still looking into who makes a decent set, i heard hawk make really good pads.

Old 10-26-2004, 10:07 PM
Concerned about Brakes!!

Well I come to you people with a question from a very concerned new truck owner. I just purchased a 2004 F150 FX4 supercab and I am worried about the brakes. I have been reading on this forum that the rotors and brakes go bad. Like I said I just bought, actually I will pick up this friday and I want to know what I should be telling the Ford dealership ahead of time, so maybe when they go bad after 5k they might do something for me to remedy it. I just want some opinions on what I should do. We all know the odds are they will go bad sooner than later, should I let the dealership know and try and get something in writing saying that they will replace them? Please bring any and all comments! I am making my first new truck purchase and I wouldn't buy anything but a Ford, but I want to stop a problem before it starts. Thanks for the help.

Jeff

Old 10-26-2004, 10:40 PM
Hi Jeff,
Welcome to f150 online.
Some of us have been having problems with OEM pads scarring the rotors, rotors warping prematurely, and wheels getting dusted every other day.
At 5500 miles, I replaced my pads(all four wheels) with Akebono Proacts. they are a ceramic compound. I am very satisfied with them...'cept for the hundred and thirty bucks I had to pay for them. I'll know if it remedied all the problems in a couple of weeks, But they stop great, no noise, and they don't dust the chrome up...Kevin
Oh by the way, sorry I can't answer some of your questions because I didn't fool with trying to get the dealer to do something about it.

Last edited by kevhunt; 10-26-2004 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-19-2004, 10:09 AM
Angry Warped Rotors

Just had my rotors turned for second time on 2004 150 4x4 at 19,000miles (covered under warranty). Dealer suggested that it was my driving habits ..what BS. Glad to see I am not only one.

Next time (and I am sure there will be a next time) I will insist on new rotors, though seeing these posts, I am not sure new ones will be any better.

Otherwise, I love this truck...

BF

Quick Reply: 2004 F150 Rotors