Dirty Rim

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dirty Rim

ive been noticing that my rear passenger wheel is a lot more dirty than the rest(i clean them about every 2 to 3 weeks). I mean the rest of my wheels dont even need to be cleaned, but that one is really dirty. Ive gotta 97' Flareside and the exhaust is in front of that wheel, i was just wanting to know if it was the brake dust or is the exhaust puttin all that on it, and my truck never has black smoke comin out of it, i just dont understand and its startin to make me a lil upset, cause i was thinkin about puttin 20's on it, if you know ne info please help!

Old 05-07-2004, 02:36 PM
It's most likely your exhaust. There were many posts here about wheel problems until the exhaust was changed. The trucks run rich and the pipes are usually black inside. My last truck's exit was behind the tire and no problem-o, but my new Lightning has dual pipes in front of the tire and it spits out a black mess. Do you have rear disc brakes on a 1997? Drum brakes do not dirty the wheels like discs do and fronts are generally worse anyway.

Old 05-10-2004, 10:41 AM
IM pretty sure they're drum brakes, so if i went to dual exhaust coming out in front of the tire like your lightning then they are prolly goin to make it worse, should i just bring the exhaust out the back or how it is??

Old 05-10-2004, 10:44 AM
Yes, you bring the exhaust exit to BEHIND the rear wheel; just like Ford did on subsequent models.

Quick Reply: Dirty Rim