Correct Tire Pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-1999, 11:24 PM
franks&beans
Red face

I say the hell with tire pressure, remove all four tires and drive on the rims, Now that will get some looks!
F&B's

------------------
98 F-150,4.2L auto, 4.10 gears w/ LS, Tow Pkg. BFG AT 265/75/16, K&N air filter, Dynomax muffler, Superchip, Edlelbrock shocks, Hellwig sway bar, 3" body lift.....

Old 12-24-1999, 12:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cphillip: You said that "the tire life and wear is real good." Can you quantify this? How long have you had the tires you are speaking of?

I have read alot and talked to a few people who are supposed to be "knowledgeable" about tires and they say to stick close to the OEM recomendation to within a few lbs - even with different tires. I don't know but it makes sense that too much air would cause the tires to wear in the center and therefore provide a shorter tread life. You haven't seen and increased center tread wear?

Old 12-24-1999, 12:40 AM
I have 265/70/R17's BFGoodrich all-terrain KO's. I have my set at 40. No problems with performance at all, just a little bit more bouncy on the highway. Snow, ice, slush was not a problem.

Just my $0.02 cents...

------------------
~
1999 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
Off Road Package
Tow Package
5.4L Automatic
Supercab
Electric 4x4 switch
Full bench interior
Factory running boards
Mods : superchip, gibson
swept-back exhaust, k&n
FIPK. Bug deflector.
Use : Mobil1 5w30 and
k&n oil filter.

Old 12-31-1999, 09:37 AM
Hi Friends:

Check the BFGoodrich site under specification files. Has a lot of information and you can start from there.

Good luck

------------------
98 4x4 Lariat SC 5.4L in oxford white two tone. Only modifications, K&N Filtercharger and Stepshield door still protectors. Many more to come.

Old 01-01-2000, 12:52 AM
Talking

JMTruck, thanks for the heads up on the BFG site. One thing we should pass along to the others is that they need to go to
FBGoodrichtires.com. If they just go to BGGoodrich.com (like I did) they will find out that the B.F. Goodrich Company has not made tires since the mid 1980s when they sold the tire company to Michelin! I did not know that Michelin makes BFG tires! Now I know I want to go with BFGs instead of Goodyear!

------------------
1997 F150 XLT-STX, Reg. Cab, White, 4.2L, Auto
-It's a beautiful Thing!-

Old 01-04-2000, 09:47 AM
kkirt1,

I'll try but, no I have not had them on but about 16K now so I am not going to go there yet. I just mean they are wearing even and still have very deep tread. I got 39K on the origianal miserable tires before I gave up waiting for them to wear out. I always kept 30 or 32 in them. However, they sucked in the wet! One thing to remember that I have a hard time letting go with is the old adage: "over inflate equals center wear" is not so much an issue with radial tires as it was with the old bias plyied tires.

As for talking to people knowledgable I am getting the opposite advice as what you are. My scources say stick to the tire manufactures recommendations (after you have changed from the OEM) as they are warrantying (sp?) the tire. Go figure?

Old 01-30-2000, 02:44 AM
Cool

I have Big-O Big Foot XT's 285/75/16's The guys at the tire shop recommended 55psi front and 50 psi rear. I have put almost 15k miles on them and they are wearing nicely.

Quick Reply: Correct Tire Pressure?