parking brake help plz

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 10:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question parking brake help plz

I went to use my parking brake like usual and somethin snapped and the pedal went to the floor. I assume the cable is snapped. How hard is it to fix, or replace. And what has to be torn apart.

Old 09-04-2004, 06:32 PM
This just happened to me three days ago, I have a manual shift and the tranny wont hold my truck on the driveway, nice incline on it. So now I have to search for flat places to park. Does anyone know how to fix this or what things to look at? I really dont wanna take it to ford and pay 300 bucks to fix it as I am broke! What happened was I pressed the foot pedal to set the brake and it snapped like it does when you release the brake. Same sound. Now there is no pressure on the pedal. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-07-2004, 12:54 AM
The e-brake cable runs under the truck on the drivers side between the frame and the body. Look under the truck and pull on the cable with your hand. If you cannot feel anything wrong, have someone push on the e-brake pedal while you are under the truck looking at the cable to see if it is moving. More than likely the cable broke where the cables from the rear diff come together to the cable that goes to the pedal. Could of also have broken at the pedal. Good luck.

Old 09-14-2004, 09:11 PM
The cable moves when the pedal is pushed the cable that moves is the one running from the pedal, the other one that it is connected too does not move.?? Sorry my replies are taking so long I have to go to school or my parents to use a comp because net is not hooked up at the apartment yet,.

Old 09-14-2004, 09:15 PM
follow the cable from the pedal to where it meets the adjuster and goes to each wheel, make sure the cable hasnt slipped off the adjuster. if you can find the adjuster, you can probably find out if its the pedal or the brake end thats broken. let us know what you find and we will go from there

Old 10-25-2004, 08:24 PM
again I apoligize for the lengthy time between post, I have still not figured out the parking brake issue. Everything seems to look like it should but I still have no tension on the parking break pedal. Followed it to where the cables split and it looks fine. The cables then go to the wheels and are not hanging still look connected but they do have a cover over them. but when I pull on the cable I cant pull it out of the cover so I would assume it is still connected. ???

Old 10-25-2004, 09:45 PM
Do you have drum brakes in the rear or disc, sounds like you need some adjusting. Or something has come loose in the brake assy.

Quick Reply: parking brake help plz