Can you safely store tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 08:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Can you safely store tires?

Just wondering if I was to buy a new tire every few month until I had a set of all 4 for when needed if that could be done and if so would it hurt to store them say for a few years? Does it makes sense to buy 1 tire every few months until a full set of 4 were bought, is there any reason to worry about each tire coming from a different “lot” or “batch”.

Was just something I was thinking about. Could always just set some money away and then buy all 4 at the same time during a sale, but then the question of can you store tires and if so for how long and how?

Old 02-14-2004, 09:38 PM
You could probably buy one each month and then store them without problem. Stored correctly, tires do last for years, but they do degenerate. My best personal logic would be to save up to buy all four. No storage, same lot, newest age, and avoid 2 years of degeneration.

Old 02-14-2004, 10:03 PM
I would have to agree with that logic. I was more wondering then actually planning on doing it. With F1’s being in the neighborhood of $200 each I was just thinking of some different game plans, but just sitting some money aside and buying them new would be the best value for my money.

Thanks for the reply…

Old 02-14-2004, 10:48 PM
OK. You're Welcome. Good tire and price.

Old 02-26-2004, 04:28 PM
Tires will get old by storing them, but you should be able to store them for a short time.
I used to race SCCA a C5 Corvette so I had lots of tires sitting around.

Tires wear out by either the tread wearing out OR the rubber compounds hardening.
I learned the hard way about hardening. My rear tires had great tread but they went through many heat cycles. And every time the tire heats up it releases a little of the compounds oil, etc. So it gets a little harder each cycle. Well it had great tread so I thought it was fine. Car was handling bad and I spun a 130mph on the Phoenix Oval straight. Well I got lucky and did not hit anything. Went in and put a old tread worn tire (non hardened) on and it handled great again.

So yes you can store them but the tire will slowly harden due to the oils being released from the rubber. And you should store them away from electrical devices because they create Ozone that will hurt the tire. Also stack them vertically to prevent distortion and if you stack them flat do stack em to high because the weight will flatten the bottom one.

I would personally not store tires unless you plan to use them within a year.

Quick Reply: Can you safely store tires?