Mickey Thompson Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2001, 06:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Mickey Thompson Tires?

Is there some reason why no one uses the MT tires they make a 34x11.5r17 and a 33x12.5r17 in two different tread patterns. Do they suck?

------------------
1998 F150 STX 4.6L
Aim 3" Coil/A-arm Lift. Rear blocks
Ranch Rs9000's
265/75R17Goodyear RTS
K+N filter charger
Clarion CD Player
White Face Gauges
Leather "Harley" seats
Straight pipe exhaust
Clear Corner Lights
Tinted Windows

Old 04-22-2001, 08:39 PM
Which MT tires are you talking about? Personally I think they suck. The Baja Claws are prone to slide sideways really easy. The Baja Belteds just plain suck unless you want to use them for sand. One final thing is they are really expensive. You can buy a much better tire than MT for alot less money.

------------------
1997 F-150 Lariat
Ext Cab Short Box
4x4 Off Road Package
3.55 Gears
285/75 R16 Kelly Springfield Trailcutter RTs

My 2 cents worth

If you're gonna stroke it, POWERSTROKE IT!!!

http://www.powerstroke73.homestead.com/

Old 04-22-2001, 08:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Just like powerstroke73 said,
The Bajas suck because they are a bias ply so they wear out fast as hell, and they are terrible in the rain and are only good in sand. The only Mickey Thompson tire I would even think about buying would be the MTX Radial, or I think they just came out with a Baja Claw radial that Python has given a good review of.

------------------
Black 1997 F-150 Extended Cab
4x4 w/Off-Road Package
5.4 liter Triton V8
Luverne Stainless Steel Nerf Bars
DeeZee Silver Series Toolbox
Grizzly Oval Style Chrome Grill/Brush Guard
Wrap around bug shield
Ventshade Ventvisors
Ford Factory Bedliner
Pioneer Deh-P6000 45 Watt CD Stereo
3" Trailmaster Body Lift
Smittybilt Outland Tail Light guards.
16x10 American Racing Polished Atlas Wheels
4 315/75R16 BF Goodrich All-Terrain TA/KO Tires on all four corners.
Flowmaster 50 Muffler w/Dual Pipes & 2 18" Stainless Tips
MTX 2 Channel Amp w/Crossover
2 MTX 10" Subwoofers w/Box
Next Up: 4" Rancho Suspension Lift

Old 04-22-2001, 09:53 PM
Mickey Thompson only makes one "real" street tire which are the MTX radials all the others are off road,thats why they don't last on the street . I run the MTX and so far so good. I've heard mixed opinions on the MTX and I don't have many miles on mine so I am hoping I get decent mileage .

Rotation and correct pressure = mileage

Old 04-23-2001, 04:33 PM
I have the Baja belteds, and they do anything but "suck". They've been in sand, and they were good. They go mudding about once a week. Can't stick them anywhere. They climb steep hills, crawl over logs, and scoot through ditches and handle like a dream. As far as wear goes, they're about even with a buddy of mine who put on BFG MT's about the same time. Granted, the wear is lousy, but hey. I bought off road tires. I have to right to complain. But, at $180 a tire, I'll be buying another brand next summer when I replace them after two years of service.

S.

Old 04-24-2001, 12:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

I guess I should not have used the word "suck." My point pretty much was that for the 97+ F150's, I think it would be almost safe to say that everyone on this board and every F150 owner is only "offroad" maybe 5% of their driving time, and thats even pushing it a bit if you average in everyone. So for the non-radial MT's they would be a bad choice for guardburke's truck unless he is offroad, OFTEN. Because their on the road characteristics are not that good from what Ive heard, and like MrScot said, they are "offroad" tires.

Old 04-24-2001, 09:08 AM
Mickey thompson makes a baja belted hp that is a good tire. they make it for 17" rims also. I loved the tires, and there radial. I don't know why more people don't buy them...

------------------
NEW TRUCK!
00 f150 ext. cab 4x4 ORP w/5.4/auto, black! Tan buckets, expy center console, tinted windows, westin nerf bars, flowmaster 40 series, remote start/alarm/keyless entry, headlight/taillight covers, Lund wiper cowl, vent visors, tono cover
5" RCD lift, 3" body lift, 35" pro comp ats on eagle 589s

old truck
99 black f150 4x2 ext. cab sport w/4.6 V8. external mods. include:
3" body lift, 3.5" fabtech lift, airaid FIPK, JBA headers, Superchip headlight/taillight covers, wiper schroud, shadeblade, ventshade, bug deflector, bed liner, tonno cover, and custom duel exhaust out the sides with 3.5" chrome tips and NO muffler. Tires: Mickey Thompson Baja HP 35 12.50 17 internal mods. include:
Pioneer indash cdplayer, 2 12" subs, 400 watt amp, remote start, and aftermarket alarm
http://www.4tssinc.com/truck

Quick Reply: Mickey Thompson Tires?