Offset, backspacing, frontspacing???

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2001, 09:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Offset, backspacing, frontspacing???

I used to have a '92 F150, and I thought I knew about wheels. It was simply 5 on 5 1/2 on a 15x10 wheel. Now, on my '97 I think I am a little lost. What is the meaning of all the terms used to describe wheel patterns and spacing and width?

Any and all help appreciated (and needed!)

Crotteau

Old 04-13-2001, 09:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back spacing is the distance from the back side of the hub of the wheel to the back edge of the rim. Take the Center Line Hell Cats I have on my truck (please). They have a 5" back spacing. Which puts the inside edge of the rim so close the steering knuckles the wheel weights actually leave marks. That's too much back spacing. The stock wheels have about 4 3/4" back spacing. The wheels I'm getting shortly will have 4 5/8" back spacing. Most aftermarket wheels have 4 1/2" back spacing, which is fine.

The 135 in the 5X135 is just millimeters. Where they used to give the measurement in inches.

Width and diameter are still measured the same as they used to be.

It's like everything else on vehicles these days, half American half metric.

------------------
98 F-150 XLT 4X4 ORP Super Cab Short Bed, 4.6, Auto, 4.10's, Mag-Hytec diff. cover, Magnacharger supercharger, K&N FIPK, Superchip, Gibson single cat-back, 80/100w German head lamps, 80w amber fog lamps, Warn HS9500i winch with semi hidden mount, Wrangler dual battery kit with red & yellow top Optima batteries, 285/75R16 Goodyear MT/R's, 16x8 Center Line Hell Cats (JUNK WHEELS), Rancho RSX shocks, B&M deep aluminum trans pan, Rhino bedliner. Needs one more door.
http://hometown.aol.com/ninetyeightfword

Quick Reply: Offset, backspacing, frontspacing???