20" wheels and speedo change

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2001, 07:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 20" wheels and speedo change

I have a 97 Expedition 4x4 which initially came with 275-60-17 tires. I recently replaced the set up with 275-45-20. I noticed that the speedo say I am going faster than I think I really am. I referenced to the other postings about changing wheel sizes and its affect on the speedo. I know someone recommended changing the gear in the tranny from a 20 tooth to a 17 tooth for those who went for a larger set up. Am I right that I should change the gear to a 22 or 23 (whatever is available)?

Also, I know the person also said it takes 5 minutes. Can you please help me out with info on how to do it? Do i need to drain the fluids? or is it as easy as 1, 2, 3?

Thanks

Old 02-19-2001, 10:22 PM
I remember someone telling me awhile back what they did but...damn I forgot bec my tire height was not to off, but I do remember he took it to a speedo shop etc and they just put a box of some sort in and recalibrated the speedo. Someone here gotta know? I think on the 99up you can just use the computer plug to change it or if you get a Superchip they can fix it? sorry I had no exact answer. E-Mail Roger from the Online store he would know or help.

------------------
My truck at:

http://www.streetscenemag.com/ViewOw...?ProfileID=202

Old 02-20-2001, 10:43 AM
Alf
Lightbulb

Isturbo79,

You can either:

Get your speedometer adjusted, but... What are you going to do if later on you decide to get a different size (i.e. 275/35/20)? Do the calibration again?

Or the easy way, which is what I'd do. Go to this page: http://www.dakota-truck.com/TIRECALC/tirecalc.html
Enter the size tire you truck came stock and also enter the new size. You'll get a table that tells you the actual speed (at which your speedo was originally calibrated) and the speed with the new size. I can see that the difference is not huge, barely .54 mph faster going at 65. This is far easy (for me at least) than messing with the speedo.

Alf

Quick Reply: 20" wheels and speedo change