Pulled drums... but...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulled drums... but...

Ok well I was trying to fix my "locked" e-brake... I took the wheel off and the drum... looked around nothing appeared out of the ordinary... so I pushed the e-brake down with the drum off... then released it and put the drum back on it had a little more resistance going on... I put the wheel on and tryed the e-brake... now it works how its supposed too.... the pedal goes all the way down.... but now the brake pedal goes all the way to the floor... I tryed engaging and disengaging the e-brake about 10 times... and I also tryed driving in reverse and stopping about 15 times... nothing worked any suggestion I have no idea what I did or didnt do... Ive never done drum brakes before so please be descriptive... Thanks guys

Old 11-27-2003, 12:02 AM
You may just need to bleed air out of the system.

You can simply open the bleeder valve for that wheel and let the fluid out. If you have an assistant, the proper way to bleed the system is open the valve, press the pedal 1/2 down, close the valve and then release the pedal. You always want the valve closed before the pedal is released so air isn't sucked in.

Old 11-27-2003, 10:52 AM
Well bleeding is simple enough... do you think i could have popped a cylinder...?

Old 11-27-2003, 03:54 PM
ok pulled drum again and the star adjuster nut had fallen off it was just hanging there... so i screwed it in and put it back... I couldnt get the drum to go on, then I realized that the e-brake hadnt disengaged so I had to pry it with a screwdriver, then drum went on fine... ok so now I take it for a drive and pedal doesnt go to the ground anymore... but its still a little too soft for my liking, so do i need to readjust each drum on both sides...? also when pushing the ebrake it stiffened up the pedal more... but when I look underneath the cable on the left is pulling more than the cable on the right... What should I do now...?

Old 11-28-2003, 09:51 PM
Smile

It sounds to me like you need to readjust the brake that the adjusting star wheel came off, that is probably what is making the pedal feel soft when brakeing. You have to adjust the brake so it just starts to get some drag on it, than back it off a little.

As for the E-brake, sometimes there is an adjustment bolt in the middle of the truck near the back, but I really dont know if your vehicle has one or not.

Peace...
Ed

Old 12-01-2003, 09:49 AM
Ok readjusted the brakes and they work fine now... Thanks guys for all the help...

Quick Reply: Pulled drums... but...