Winter tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-1999, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Winter tires

Being in Pennsylvania, the time is come (with 2wd) to think about winter tires for the rear axle.....as there is not much of a selection of winter tires in the 16", was thinking about a pair of 15"wheels, and something like a 235/75x15......diameter shouldn't be too far off, and I don't carry a lot of weight, so they SHOULD work....any thoughts/suggestions??
Bill, N3DDY
'97 F150 XL, s/c, 4.2 + 4r70w

------------------

Old 08-06-1999, 05:48 PM
J-C
When I lived in Colorado, I had a set of 4 winter tires (all studded) on my 2WD. They were just stacked in the corner of the garage waiting for cold weather. In the fall I just swapped all 4. I marked their position as they came off so I ended up "rotating" them with the next swap.
With the studs on the rear, I had traction. With the studs on the front, I could steer.
I picked up 4 steel rims at a salvage yard.
Good luck with yours

------------------
1999 F-250 XLT Super Duty Crew Cab Long Bed
V-10, Automatic 4R100, 4.30 Limited Slip.
GVW = 6700# Towing Capacity = 13,300#
4 Wheel ABS disks + Reese 15K hitch
Dark Hunter Green. Ford Running Boards.
Grey Rhino-Liner. Captain's Chairs. CD+Tape
* * * Non-Leaking Sliding Window * * *
http://members.home.net/jchartier/jnctrk.html

Old 08-21-1999, 11:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

You can't put 15" wheels on the late model F150s brake rotors are too big

------------------
99 XLT 5.4l reg cab
4 wheel disc/ABS
5 star larait style wheels
Toreador red 2tone
3.55 gears
255/70/16 OWL
Delta toolbox
Eclipse 5340 cd player
Memphis ARCS50 component speakers (excellent sound)
Sherwood amp
subwoofer coming soon
More mods as funds become avalible.

Old 09-01-1999, 05:14 PM
Smile

I'm going to go with some Pirelli Scorpion S/Ts for my 2wd they look awesome and are supposed to be awesome it the snow !

Old 09-01-1999, 05:32 PM
Just thinking out loud again...

Wouldn't larger tires be more effective than smaller in the snow?

I gather you're trying to keep the overall diameter the same. A larger diameter might affect your electronic systems but if your in 16" of snow, you won't care if your speedo's off.

I may be completely wrong on this. But it might be interesting to see what the others say.

Good luck,
I hope to be south of ya',
Mark

------------------
'98 XLT, 4.6L, SC, 4x2,
Black, SB, Flareside,
ARE Tonneau ,
Lined, [img]//millennium.fortunecity.com/magic/388/Smil_lw1.gif[/img]
Tinted,
Deflected,
Mini-Disced ,
Amped 4x100,
Subbed 2x12,
K&Ned,
B-B-B-M-F
Goin' thru tires fast
not chipped yet
not supertrucked yet

[This message has been edited by Mark G (edited 09-01-1999).]

Old 09-02-1999, 02:10 PM
For snow and ice, you want narrower (smaller width) tires or stock size, but you will have to stay with 16-inchers on stock rims for brake clearance and bolt configuration.
Narrower tires cut through deep snow better and concentrate the weight to press down on the ice for grip. Wide tires float up and over snow and slush. Also, stick to "P" series tires, not LT. LTs are tougher but the rubber is harder - you want softer. The more agressive tread design of some LTs is no advantage (maybe in mud, but not in cold weather).

Dedicated "ice-and-snow" (new-breed) tires are the answer, from companies like Toyo (with walnut shells ground up in the compound to improve grip, I kid you not!). They are made to stay soft when the emperature drops below freezing. It's best to have the same KIND of tires on all four wheels to maintain control (that is, all studs, all non-studded, all 4-season, all ice-and-snow).

Mounted them in sets of four, regardless of whether you have 2WD or 4WD. From my observation, 70% of your braking and 100% of your steering is done with the front wheels. So, where do most people put the grippy tires? On the back, right?

Extra steel rims are also a good idea as was said, so you don't expose your alloy or chrome steel wheels to salt and you can change over each spring and fall without busting the tire bead and paying to rebalance and mount them each time. You only need three extras since you can use your spare.

------------------
1998 XL SC short-box 4.2 5-speed 3.55LS, Pacific Green, A/C, factory box liner, factory dark tinted rear glass (like the XLT), cassette, carpet, Canadian XLS package (split bench, chrome wheels, side mouldings, box light, tailgate lock), sill guards, Windstar (driver's) wiper blade (the one with the air scoop). Oh ya: snazzy Tweetie Bird floor mats.

Old 09-02-1999, 04:13 PM
Smile

Thanks for the info!

I hope not to have to use it but I'm puttin' it on HD just in case.

Mark

Quick Reply: Winter tires