GeneralAmeristar Has Departed The Truck!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-1999, 03:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face GeneralAmeristar Has Departed The Truck!

2weeks ago the left rear tire on my 1997 flare side extended cab seperated taking the inner fender,and about 1/2 the outer fender with it.The scarry part was that the tire tread also grabbed the FUEL filler pipe and broke it from the top of the gas tank.Oh yea the tire also Blew and I mean BIG boom!The tire seperated first then blew out.(it went FLAP,FLAP,BOOM)IMO the truck was not over loaded about 1000lbs cargo&passengers (me and my kids)nobody hurt.I called a dealer in Az to purchase a new fuel filler and without him actually saying it (liability?)I got the feeling "this happens all the time"with General Ameristar550's.well what about it guy&gals did I mis a recall or somthing?

Old 08-06-1999, 05:54 PM
J-C
I've had no problems with my Firestones. I check the tire temperature whenever I stop for gas - just walk around and feel each tire. They should all be "warm" and all about the same temp. A hot one indicates low air pressure - and a future blowout.
Were yours all at a good pressure?

------------------
1999 F-250 XLT Super Duty Crew Cab Long Bed
V-10, Automatic 4R100, 4.30 Limited Slip.
GVW = 6700# Towing Capacity = 13,300#
4 Wheel ABS disks + Reese 15K hitch
Dark Hunter Green. Ford Running Boards.
Grey Rhino-Liner. Captain's Chairs. CD+Tape
* * * Non-Leaking Sliding Window * * *
http://members.home.net/jchartier/jnctrk.html

Old 08-07-1999, 03:12 PM
Pressure was good 44psi which is the maximum recommened pressure on the tire.I was only 80 miles from a friends house and had just checked the pressure.I always walk around at all gas stops and check pressure in the morning before starting when I'm out on road trips as I was.

Old 08-07-1999, 03:27 PM
Exclamation

Just a thought: Isn't the correct air pressure to inflate the tires what is recommended by the truck manufacturer....usually found on a sticker in a door jamb!? The maximum inflation pressure is just that: the maximum safe pressure for that tire which is designated by the tire manufacturer. Most manufacturers, to the best of my knowledge with my vehicles, recommend the pressure to be 32-35psi and not to the maximum pressure that the tire can stand.

Take it easy,
Mark

Old 08-16-1999, 01:16 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To bad about your truck so did you get it fixed yet. Did you put some real tires on your truck now as the saying goes you get what you pay for so if you buy cheap it wont last as long.

Old 08-16-1999, 04:05 PM
In my glove box, I had a notice which clearly said NEVER to inflate a tire to the psi on the rubber! only use the numbers on the doors or face serious problems! FYI...

------------------
David
'99 F150 XLT SC, STYLESIDE
4X4 ORP 5.4L, AUTOMATIC,
139wb, Rhino, K&N,
BugGuard, RainGuards
SHE SAID YES! SHE SAID YES!
SUPERCHIP MOD SOON!

Old 08-20-1999, 03:08 PM
Yes my truck is now back together and all is well.
My intent on starting this thread was to alert others to check the tires on there trucks for seperation.In the past mouth I have talked to several tire dealers including a friend of mine with over ten years of management in the tire biz and all have had nothing good to say about the OEM General Ameristars.One even went so far as to say that they're good tire for keeping the rims from getting scratched when its loaded and unloaded off the truck at the dealer and then should be changed ASAP.As for air press.I have never had any problems with running max sidewall pressure as aposed to auto man.recomendations.

Trending Topics

Old 09-02-1999, 03:16 PM
Max on the tire sidewall is definately Maximum COLD pressure. As it heats up it will then exceed this. Then bands start seperating then... Boom!

Quick Reply: GeneralAmeristar Has Departed The Truck!