front rotor removal???

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2001, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question front rotor removal???

I am having one heck of a time getting my front rotors off. I read the post on cutting them off and I'm a little scared to do that right now, so does anyone else have any advice. I was thinking about a really big 2 or 3 jaw puller. Anyone tried this or anything else???

------------------
1997 f150 4x4
extended cab, xlt
4.6, 5 speed 3.55 gears

Old 03-31-2001, 05:10 PM
Cool

I applied an 8" 3 Jaw that had a good grab.
I thought it might explode in my face (disc or puller)(scary!!) so I covered the whole assembly with a blanket, just in case... Air
impact wrench applied Mighty Force but did not budge. Did begin to mar the disc where the puller tips hit. That's scary!! Some guys on f150online are saying remove hubs and press out. they report 20+ TONS of force needed! This blows away my cheap import puller, but a 30T press has the advantage of pressing on the whole surface (disc back).That would be hard to manage on the truck. Do a search for rotor rust in the brake section of this group. Many crafty guys here have many good ideas ....

Good Luck Mark

Old 04-11-2001, 06:20 PM
20 tons? thats 40 thousand pounds of pressure. Are you sure?

------------------
97 F150 Longbed V8 4.6
K&N air filter
K&N FIPK tech MOD & removed elbow silencer
Tires: Yokohama 265/75/16 Geolander AT+
Hyper white xenon bulbs
Bedliner and raven shell
6 disc cd changer
Oil & filter used

Gasoline used

My Truck

Old 04-11-2001, 08:02 PM
BT, DT. Yes UI have had to put them in a press, with a hammer and heat and then they will pop. Boy, does the press jump!
For you, the bvest bet is to procure a nice big heavy hammer and whack the hat of the rotor while the puller is applied. Also, a little wd-40 in all areas that the hub and rotor meet helps. THey rust together on the back side where the hub meets the rotor. WHEN you get them apart, use a generous supply of anti sieze on the hub to help ya next time.

Old 04-14-2001, 08:54 PM
Just did mine and had the same problem. Pulled the bearing and put in press and like others said it took around 20 tons to pop them. It the quickest and safest way to get them off. cleand the hub area and put a light film of Never Sieze on the hub area when you reassemble. It will be a breeze next time.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nomopar4me:
BT, DT. Yes UI have had to put them in a press, with a hammer and heat and then they will pop. Boy, does the press jump!
For you, the bvest bet is to procure a nice big heavy hammer and whack the hat of the rotor while the puller is applied. Also, a little wd-40 in all areas that the hub and rotor meet helps. THey rust together on the back side where the hub meets the rotor. WHEN you get them apart, use a generous supply of anti sieze on the hub to help ya next time.
</font>

Quick Reply: front rotor removal???