real axle seal leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2000, 09:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question real axle seal leak

My 1997 ford f150 4x4 is in the shop. The ford dealer reports finding the left rear axle seal leaking. The real damage was caused to the breaks, which now require about $500 to replace the drums, and break shoes including labor. Has anyone experienced that problem? My truck is driven on the highway and has only 37000 miles on it.
Thanks,

Lou

Old 09-09-2000, 04:23 PM
That sounds suspiciously expensive.

Axle seal leaks frequently contaminate the brake lining material, but seldem result in damage to the drum. The right (er, wrong) amount of axle lube leaking on a brake can cause it to drag and overheat causing heat spots or checking (cracking) of the drum -- but that is somewhat rare.

Consider obtaining a second opinion from a trustworthy mechanic on this one.

The 'official word' in lube-contaminated-lining repair calls for the replacement of the lining -- but the 'whisper-fix' involves washing with solvent (like the product "Brakleen") and detergent/water -- as long as the lining bond to the shoe table is sound.

Old 09-18-2001, 08:31 PM
Here it is a year after my last post -- and I just returned from the dealer after having a left-rear axle shaft seal leak repaired.

I first got a whif of hot oil at a rest stop while towing my trailer a few weeks ago -- and did the 'oh-m-god' check of the right-hand head gasket for drips on the exhaust manifold.

Seeing none -- and not being able to find the source, I forgot it.

Last week, I rotated the tires, and discovered that lube had been slinging off of the rotor and all over the wheel/tire -- contaminating the parking shoes to boot.

Well, the dealer fixed the seal, de-greased the shoes and pads (crazy parking brake set-up on these disc-brake rears), replaced $70+ dollars of synlube/friction modifier, and sent me on my way sans charges (I'm still under warranty).

My dealer, Simmons Ford -- Vicksburg, MI, has been taking very good care of me -- which keeps me driving 40 miles round-trip to their shop.

So...
...if you get a whif of hot oil, check out the rear axle-shaft seal for leakage, and be suspicious of $500 brake jobs due to lube contamination.

Old 09-21-2001, 06:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

My last break job involved turning the rotors and drums,and new front pads.
It turned out to be $328,not sure if $500 is low,or high.,,,,98

Old 10-08-2001, 07:34 AM
I just had this same problem fixed on Saturday. Total cost to me was $380.00 (with new Raybestos Plus brakes on the rear). My truck is at 79,215 miles right now. This is the first problem I have had with it.

Rick

Clinton Township, MI.

Quick Reply: real axle seal leak