Serious Brake Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 09:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Serious Brake Problem

Hey Guys,
I am having a very wierd problem with the brakes on my 99 F150 (4-Wheel Disc). It seems that any time I am making a slow, continiously braking, turn into a parking space or stop sign the brakes are nearly failing. The pedal goes almost all the way to the floor, and you have to literally stomp on the pedal to get the truck to stop. While this is happening the pedal is pulsing like the ABS is kicking in. New pads and inspection of the rotors was done today. Neither of which helped the situation. The fluid is at the right level, no ABS light is on. My first thought was the master cylinder, but I would think it would be acting up all the time and not intermittently. I am completely lost on this one, and dare I say it.... I am actually considering taking it to the dealership in the morning.

Thanks for Any Help,
Landen

Old 12-19-2002, 09:40 PM
when was the last time ..

you had it flushed?...are your lines up front getting soft and kinking when you turn?...just a couple of suggestions

Old 12-19-2002, 09:50 PM
I had it flushed about 25,000 miles ago.... I don't know if my lines are getting soft or not, I don't know of any way to find that out if the truck is moving. Is it possible this might be related to trash in the line?

Landen

Old 12-20-2002, 01:02 AM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
brakes

I would think its one of two things, 1st: try and bleed the system start with the bleeder that is the on the right rear. Then if that fails i would think the master cylinder may be the issue and may need repair/replace. Good luck and let us know.

Last edited by buckdropper; 12-20-2002 at 01:05 AM.
Old 12-21-2002, 09:14 PM
Well it looks like the dealer found the problem. I have a front driver's side wheel speed sensor failing. This means that the ABS system is seeing the wheel travel at a different speed than it really is. The part should be in Monday morning, hopefully that will fix the problem...

Old 12-21-2002, 10:48 PM
UGH!!

I am waiting for my new truck with ABS. I feared problems like this may exist. Its a snap to work on the brakes on my 74 Nova

Old 12-30-2002, 06:40 PM
LStoker,
I think the problem with my 98 is similar to yours. When braking the pedal doesnt have a solid feel, I get a "abs" type kicking feel through the pedal, and the faster I go the worse the sensation and no 'abs' indicator light. I've replaced all pads, drums, rotors etc.. How much was the wheel speed sensor?, how many are there ?........Your input is greatly appreciated. bows:

keith

Old 12-31-2002, 06:00 PM
if the pedal feels funny after turning i would check the wheel bearings, if they are really loose the movement could spead the pads apart causing the low pedal if not then probably abs concern, mostly likely the exciter ring

Quick Reply: Serious Brake Problem