Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Fuel Filter

Join the club!!

I was laying under the truck and cursing myself. I eventually kept working until I bent the internal retaining clips. I was then able to remove the filter. I never did replace the clips.

I wish I would have read some of these articals before starting. The tool sounds like the answer!

Old 11-06-2002, 11:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They're only 5 or 10 bucks from AutoZone. It's a good investment next time around.

Old 11-07-2002, 08:00 AM
I had the same trouble with my filter. I bought two tools and neither one was worth a ####. Since I want to change the filter about every 20k I was not going through this again so this is what I did. It is not approved by anyone but me but here goes.

I could not get the filter off on the tank side so I cut the nipple off that end of the filter then checked to see if I could get the springs out, couldn't. So I left that nipple in and cut the other side off the old gas filter and pushed in into the motor side gas line. I then bought about 3 ft of gas line and 4 hose clamps. I cut the line in half and attached it to both sides of the new filter and then ran those lines to the pieces ( the ones I cut off the old filter) that I snaped into the existing lines. With this much gas line the next time I change the filter I can take the bracket off and the filter will hang down so I can snap it out of the bracket without the trouble I had the first time. I was very nervouse for the first couple of trips in the truck and was constantly crawling under the truck to check for fuel leaks but haven't seen a drop. Will keep ya posted.

Again, this is not approved by anyone but a shade tree machanic

Steve

Old 11-07-2002, 05:12 PM
Ya I had fun the first time around changing mine, and im the type that will break stuff and try to fix later. Luckily my brother in law stopped me before I got to that point.

What up Flea?

Old 11-07-2002, 10:54 PM
I spent the money and bought a quality fuel line removal tool and have never had a problem with removing the fuel lines. Since my truck has the ORP I have found it much easier to remove the skid pad to service the filter. I change mine every 15K and find the hardest part of the change is removing the filter from the baracket holding it and getting the new filter into the bracket. But I've never experienced and fuel line removal problems, the tool I bought works great.

Old 11-09-2002, 10:01 AM
Location: Michigan Sex Industry, MI. [you want it, we got it]
I had the most godawful time trying to replace my filter. The bracket was coated with light rust and the filter refused to pop out. Goddamn crazy locations and weather!!!

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter