Throttle Body Cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 05:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Throttle Body Cleaner

I've read that certain members just spray throttle body cleaner right into the throttle body past the plate to clean deposits. Well.. after about 2 cans, my truck won't crank anymore. LOL. Any suggestions?

Old 10-28-2002, 05:22 PM
Did you use the spray with the engine running or not??

Old 10-28-2002, 05:24 PM
Off, according to the instructions.

Old 10-28-2002, 05:28 PM
I think you are going to have to see if it will evaporate. Just leave the throttle plate open for a while and don't try to start it.

It really sounds to me like 2 cans of any fluid when the engine is not running will create a hydro-lock condition when you try to start it.

Did you have the throttle body removed or was it still on the engine so that this mist would go directly into the intake manifold???

Old 10-28-2002, 05:43 PM
What exactly is "hydro-lock"? Yes, directly into intake manifold, TB was still attached. I tried what you suggested, open the plate and hope that it evaporates but the temps are cooler now so far no change. Also, I used 1 can the previous time and the engine started fine, sputtering at first but started nonetheless..

Old 10-28-2002, 06:31 PM
"Hydro-lock" is what happenes when, instead of the piston rings being coated with oil, they are coated with a non lubricating liquid, like water. They just dig into the cylinder walls and get stuck. If you try to start a hydro-locked engine, the crankshaft will break a connecting rod because the piston can't move.

If you spray this stuff directly into the intake, then it is going to collect on the closed intake valves and go past the open one into the combustion chamber.

What may be happening is that the throttle body cleaner has fouled all the spark plugs or is in too high of a percentage in the air/fuel/throttle body cleaner mixture to allow for a spark induced combustion. It may just not be combustible enough.

If it's not too much of an effort on your engine, you can remove all the spark plugs, disable the ignition and crank the engine. This will turn the crank shaft and force any fluids out of the combustion chamber.

What does it sound like when you try to start the engine??? Does it just keep cranking or does it sounds like nothing is happening at all???

Old 10-28-2002, 06:37 PM
what kind of cleaner did you spray into the intake?

Old 10-28-2002, 07:03 PM
Leave it be

Let that thing sit overnight. Let all that fluid evaporate. What you have done is sort of 'flooded' it. Its too wet to ignite. There is too much fluid in it to combust properly, you don't have the compression for it. Kinda like dropping a match in a can of diesel, it doesnt explode, it extinguishes. So, you are probably just cranking and cranking. Youll wear out something before it starts probly. Since its a closed chamber you may want to open the throttle plates and let it evaporate. It should run ok in the morning, after it clears itself out. It will sputter and cough and the engine light may come on, but you shouldnt have messed up anything. However, TWO can's is a little much. Also, next time, remove the TB to clean it. It should be OK this time, but next time, its just best to remove it and keep all that crud from going inside.

Last edited by Dodge4x4; 10-28-2002 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-28-2002, 08:13 PM
It does crank but then nothing. There's a short thump noise and that's it.

STP TB Cleaner. (The blue can from Autozone)

Q: If there is hydro-lock, will there not be damage even when all the TBC has evaporated since pistons aren't oil coated? It does sound like what you described. The very first time, engine did start then stalled. Now, it just thumps..

Old 10-29-2002, 06:17 AM
The thump is not a good sign.

If it's just a signle thump when you turn the ignition, then it's either a dead battery or hydro-lock; unless you inadvertantly disabled the starting system somehow.

I couldn't tell you with certainty what happened just by reading it here, but I have read quite a few stories about people thinking they had a dead battery when it turns out the engine wasn't cranking because it was hydro-locked from coolant leaking into the cylinders.

Hopefully, it's alright now.

Old 10-29-2002, 07:43 AM
Hydro-lock...

is when a cylinder is full of fluid. Since water (hydro) is virtually incompressible is locks the motor because the piston can't complete the stroke to TDC. When you crank the motor up against the fluid, this is when the connecting rod gets bent or the fly wheel breaks.

I would either have it towed to a mechanic or pull all of the spark plugs and see if there is fluid in one of the cylinders.

Old 10-29-2002, 10:27 AM
there is no fluid in the cylinders, it is just that he sprayed way to much in. trust me it will evaporate you might want to try and help it along and use a hair dryer and blow it into the intake

then when you try to crank it again make sure that your intake/air filter are hooked up so the maf can get a reading and hold the pedal to the floor which tells the computer you are in a flooded status and it will back off on the fuel mix. once it starts let it idle do not rev the engine as the byproduct from your cleaning can foul a cat let it burn off slowly

do not ever run one of these engines while spraying cleaner (And do not ever use carb cleaner) into the intake as you will kill the cats in a heartbeat! running the engine is the old way with a carburated non catalytic engine those days are gone forever.

there is very very little chance that you have been hydra locked because hydra lock is so severe that the first time you tried to turn it over it would have caused it's damage.

good luck and let us know how it turned out.

Old 10-29-2002, 10:39 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb

It could have fouled the plugs?? It could be that simple. The engine would refuse to start then? I don't think there could be enough liquid in an aerosol can to hydrolock the engine, but I could be wrong? The thump could just be the air rushing through the engine when the plugs won't fire. I've heard that sound before, lots of old clunkers in my past,,,,98

Check the PCV hose hookups on the intake, some guys had a no start from those?

Old 10-29-2002, 10:47 AM
Thanks all for the replies.

Tried it this morning, engine started very briefly then stalled. That's somewhat on the positive side I would think. I'll try the hair dryer trick since the weather is cool enough for very slow evaporation.

Old 10-29-2002, 10:52 AM
I think the thump is from the starter (not sure) as it is at the very beginning of the cycle.

Not a dead battery either since the lights come on and my radar detector displays 13.4V.

Great, now I'm gonna have to go to school in a Nissan. How embarrassing..

Last edited by LeanNCut; 10-29-2002 at 11:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Throttle Body Cleaner