Hesitation during hard acceration

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2002, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hesitation during hard acceleration

...i have checked everything i can think of......the fuel filter is new, the oil has been changed and the plugs are still good..........what have i misssed......around 3000-3500 rpm's the engine wants to studder then it "catches" itself and it kicks back in.....but when i am "normal driving" it does not do this .could it be the fuel pump not giving the engine what it needs during the "peak demand" of fuel......please help.....thanx Pete

Last edited by wyoming; 10-09-2002 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-10-2002, 12:11 AM
Wouldn't sweat ot it but I would still have to say it's in the plugs or wires somewhere. It seems 90% of the time when someone on here as a studder/shudder issue it's the dang ignition system.

Truthfully it could be anywhere from bad plugs/wires, to a sensor, to injectors/ fuel system, to programming.

Try running a bottle of Chevron Techron for a tank or two first.

Old 10-10-2002, 09:43 AM
That's how my problem started.. was actually my coil packs...

Check w/ your Chilton's guide or with your Mech, and ask what the impedence on your packs is *supposed* to be, might give you a little time to get your hands on some cheap, instead of paying the $125 each I did...

Old 10-10-2002, 11:12 AM
Are you getting a check engine light? About 4 months ago I was getting the hesitation during acceleration along with the CEL and a code 0304 (Cylinder 4 misfire). Changed the plugs and wires and I haven't gotten another CEL but the hesitation is back. Is there anything that can cause this symptom without setting the CEL? I would think that any ignition issue (plugs, wire, coil packs) would set the CEL.

My hesitation/stuttering only occurs when cruising above about 40 and I try to accelerate lightly (if I stomp on it, it downshifts and accelerates fine, or at least better).

'98 F150, 4.6L, 59,000 miles, all stock.

Old 10-10-2002, 06:30 PM
nope no CEL just yet......normal driving it is fine .its when i "punch" it to get on the interstate or run a lil "pissed off bumble bee" into the asphault..... "Pissed off Bumble Bee" equals a Ricer in my book.....i will check my coils and wires and see what is happenin thanx ya'll

Old 10-10-2002, 11:31 PM
gdolson
What you describe is classic systems of the 4.6 misfiring. They can and do misfire without setting a CEL. Mine did it for 3 months and never even set so much as a pending code that there was a misfire. At 40-50 mph and light accel it would shudder and I even thought it was a tranny problem for a while. Only after a full diagnostic scan did I find that the plugs were at fault. I also had a premature failure of my xact plug wires, they lasted about 8m months and 22K miles.
If I were you I would check to make sure all the plug wire boots are seated firmly and have plenty of grease on them, also at night watch for arcing (a mist of water can help). For a shot in the dark you could try plugs and wires again. You should still have a warranty on the wires so theres another free set and just buy new plugs. Might cost you $40 tops. Other than that I do not know- fuel problem?

wyoming
I'm not sure on yours. Could be in the ignition. Anyone else have advice?

Quick Reply: Hesitation during hard acceration