Smoking after oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smoking after oil change?

Ok I did my first oil change on my truck yesterday. I used a Fram "sure grip" oil filter and used Valvoline Durablend *synthetic blend) 10w-30 (6 qts.). After putting the new in I started it up and let it idle to circulate the new oil through the engine and after a few minutes if idle I noticed it started smoking a tiny bit and then it started to smoke alittle bit worse. It was definetly white smoke. So I hopped in the truck and took her for a spin around the block to see if the smoke would go away...., nope after I parked her she still smoked. So I shut her off and let her cool down for a few hours. Went back to start her and the smoking went away. This morning I started her up again and no smoke at all (only steam from the rain and cold weather, definetly not oil smoke). Everything seems to be back to normal but I am still confused about what the white smoke was about. Any ideas?

Old 10-01-2002, 08:14 PM
OK now i'm really confused, now after the truck is warmed up from idle she starts to smoke again. Now it seems to be blue/white smoke coming out now. It gets really worse if I nail the gas. What can be wrong? Worn rings or vavle seals? Why would these go bad from just changing the oil? Should I use some think "No Leak" oil stuff in it like I did before? Or should I just take her in the shop?

Old 10-01-2002, 11:14 PM
Maybe your valve seals/guides are bad. When you filled the oil in the head, it leaked past into the cylinders. This might at least explain after you first filled it.

Old 10-02-2002, 08:28 AM
I had a similar experience with my old truck. It just didn't care for synthetic oil. When I went back to Dino oil, smoking went away. Go figure...

Larry

Old 10-02-2002, 08:43 AM
You know '83, you seem to be getting into more trouble every time you work on your truck.

Changing your oil regularly is always rolled out as the most important thing you can do for your vehicle; but there is one downside to it:

Until the new oil begins to circulate in the system additional wear will occur. You may have had a ring,valve,seat etc that was just about ready to go, and the additional friction from a "dry" startup pushed it over the edge.

This leaves you with a few options:
1)Check that you didn't get a little oil up the re-breather to the air filter-replace the little oil filter in the can if you didn't already do so. Sucking a little oil in through there would get it into the carb and mimic a internal engine oil leak.
2)If you don't have the bucks or desire to rebuild for a minor oil leak, give one of the leak-stopper oil additive products a shot. A $20 investment may seal the small leak you have.
3)If you are handy try a compression test on all the cylinders, that way if you want to tackle the rebuild yourself you may be able to narrow down where the problem is.

If none of these help you out paint your truck battleship grey and tell people you are laying a smoke-screen to protect yourself and family from terrorist attck.

Quick Reply: Smoking after oil change?