Blown Plugs, damaged cylinder head

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2002, 12:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You guys sure seem to have been quoted high prices - especially since its in U.S currency

It should be around 16.7 hrs to replaced the head and transfer componets, it will cost extra of course if you buy a complete head, otherwise the extra cost should on the head should be to griind the valves.

A bare head (i quoted one awhile ago) was around the $500 cnd mark, so if you add related gaskets lets say an extra couple hundred and machine valves of a hundred should still come in at less than $2500 cnd - still no baragin but i just find that you guys are paying quite a bit for U.S currency

Old 10-14-2002, 03:45 PM
Hi Mike and Paul,

Paul, bummer about the expensive membership dues and unwitting induction into the "Ford Blown Spark Plug Club". Glad you found this thread through a search engine, though.

I think the dedicated website is a great idea, as thread ID's at this site can and do change. I referenced this thread in my NHTSA complaint, and then realized it didn't even work, a few weeks later! Another problem that makes me doubt the NHTSA will get a handle on this is that the plug problem is dispersed amongst many different categories of trucks, and I doubt they'd be able to see the conection, based on how they collect data for Ford trucks (e.g. they have different categories for F150 and F-150: lame!).

Another option is contacting a class-action lawfirm. That may be more productive, asking them to evaluate this thread and see if they want some % of what could potentially prove to be a large settlement/judgement against Ford. A dedicated website would help the cause.

I have no experience in creating a website, but I'd be willing to co-finance such an endeavor. I am almost expecting this to happen again to another plug in my truck, so setting up a website seems like a better, more moral investment than just lining Ford Repair's pockets with more $$$ to pay for another repair bill when/if it happens again.

BTW, I took a long road trip this weekend, and the whole time I'm worrying if it's going recur (changing routes so I'm not too far out in the boonies in the event of a breakdown). An almost complete loss of faith in this vehicle, at this point. Ironic, since that's what I thought I paid for when buying a brand-new "Ford-Tough" truck.

################

Here's the link to filing a complaint on-line with NHTSA, the folks who have the power to investigate and order a recall, if needed. Please provide them with all the details of your incident/experience.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/ivoq/default.htm

It only takes about 5 minutes to complete the process online; you can also do it over the telephone @ 1-888-DASH-2-DOT.

The more of us who file a report, the greater the chances for getting a full independent investigation by the NHTSA.

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited by feefer; 10-14-2002 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-14-2002, 06:02 PM
SUE SUE SUE

Feefer - I thought you said your truck had over 82,000 miles - how long do you think ford should warrenty them? Are they supposed to offer a lifetime warrenty? Not intended as a flame but more to question how long you think ford should keep fixing your truck for free. How much do you think a truck would cost with a lifetime warrenty? O well I guess if you sue that will just raise the price of trucks for the rest of us, just like insurace prices have risen, etc, etc, etc.

Old 10-14-2002, 09:55 PM
Thumbs down

black f150 offroad

I think you would be singing a different tune. If you owned a truck affected with this expensive defect!

Old 10-15-2002, 01:48 AM
Thumbs up

hmm i had a 2000 4x4 4.6 5-speed know i din't have that problem but i had ever thing eles like two head gaskets,one new motor,both shifter replaced,tranny rebuilt,3 weeks lattter a nother dealer got a new tranny in for me a rad,craked doors,the bodom of the door rusted y pipe,and one other pipe,new cluch two times,and soem secors.......i got the truck with 30,000 km on it at 63,000 i got rid of iti think you know way.can you guess what i have for a truck now??????a 96 xl 302 i got the 00 cause my 89 4x4 with 390,000kms needed work and i had to drive it more than my 00 cause it was in the shop most of the like.my well 89 is getting a lift and a boby jod and i'll drive it for a nother 400,000kms and then some

Old 10-15-2002, 02:30 AM
A note to y'all who have had spark plug/head problems - keep the receipts for the repair damage. When the battle was going on over the undersized radiators with the tow package, Ford finally caved in and agreed to reimburse those who had paid for the replacment radiator...if they had the receipts.

Old 10-15-2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by black f150 offroad
SUE SUE SUE

Feefer - I thought you said your truck had over 82,000 miles - how long do you think ford should warrenty them? Are they supposed to offer a lifetime warrenty? Not intended as a flame but more to question how long you think ford should keep fixing your truck for free. How much do you think a truck would cost with a lifetime warrenty? O well I guess if you sue that will just raise the price of trucks for the rest of us, just like insurace prices have risen, etc, etc, etc.
Hi Black150 offroad,

Re-read the thread, as you're missing a major point. There's a difference between the types of mechanical problems that are covered by the warranty and those subject to repair under a recall.

This blown spark plug issue seems to be a fundamental design flaw (not only my conclusion, but the position of some Ford-authorized mechanics who do alot of these repairs), the problem being Ford's decision to use an insufficient thread depth for the plug bores in aluminum cylinder heads on recent truck models.

Of course, manufacturers are being pressured to improve mileage and emissions performance to comply with higher federal standards, and perhaps that explains Ford's decision to reduce truck weight wherever possible, including reducing aluminum cylinder head mass to the point where this problem is more likely to occur? Not an excuse, since other manufacturer's face the same pressures, and you don't hear about Chevy trucks blowing plugs.....

In the case of a fundamental flaw that commonly leads to failure, the status of the warranty is a non-issue. Why? There's a design or manufacturing flaw, a mistake made by the manufacturer that can cause problems at any time in the product life, effecting product safety as a result.

In other words, the repair of known manufacturer defects (whether the repair is carried out voluntarily, or if mandated by a government recall) is not something that is effected by the status of the warranty. Just like the F-150 door crack situation: they made a boo-boo in the design, and have changed it since to avoid the problem from effecting newly-manufactured vehicles. To address current F-150 owners, Ford issued a TSB directing how to fix the crack.

(Even though the Ford repair folks might try to tell you otherwise: see all the difficulties people have had getting Ford to follow their own TSB policies to get the 'door crack' issue resolved. Read some posts, and you'll see Ford doesn't want to repair these in accord with their own policies, even WHEN the trucks ARE still under warranty.)

In the 'real' world, the 'catch' is getting the manufacturer to willingly admit there's a problem (or even investigate the issue). Unfortunately, Ford doesn't take consumers' complaints seriously unless they're represented by competent legal counsel.

That's not my choice, but the apparent choice of Ford's legal department.

Chris

Last edited by feefer; 10-15-2002 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-15-2002, 02:29 PM
feefer:

Thanks for your reply. I am still looking for the best medium to put all this info. in one place, be it a forum, website or whatever. I only want to do it once and for it to have the maximum benefit. Thank you for your financial consideration as well, lets see how it goes. In addition I spoke to the attorney I use for my business and discussed this issue with him. I have forwarded this thread for his revue and he will look into the feasability of further action and what is required to carry it out.

Will keep you posted,

Paul

Old 10-16-2002, 01:01 AM
Hi Paul and all,

It seems we're getting more awareness of the situation.

In the thread below, Adam Forsythe (from Forsythe's Everything Automotive) says he'll be looking into the blown plug problem:

http://warnerrobert.com/cgi-bin/ubbc...&f=18&t=000179

Might be good to watch that thread to see what he finds out.

Paul, let us know what your lawyer has to say.

Chris

Old 10-16-2002, 09:14 PM
82,000 miles , warrenty ends at 36,000 miles - yet ford should still warrenty it? Your monitor say it fails after a year and the warrenty is only for a year - should the manufacture pay to fix it?

I'm just trying to understand, believe me I've had enough problems of my own 4 '99 (in the family) all 5.4's all with leaking head gaskets not one with a blown plug which would lead me to believe that a head leak is more common than a blown plug. (btw 1 engine replaced for piston slap/head leak, my truck with pistion slap - won't use rebuilt engine, etc)

the vehicle is covered from manufacture defects for 36,000 miles, sure its a crappy design but not all trucks have had the problem, what if your water pump leaks should that be covered? where is the line drawn on what should still be warrenty? If a truck has only 40,000 miles should it still be covered? should it run out at 100,000 miles or at a 1,000,000 miles? Should recalls go back to older vehicles (say 65 mustang) to mandate better fuel tank designs? should they recall old vheilces to install abs or airbags?

I agree its a crappy design but in the end someone will pay, who do u think payed for the radiators? us the consumer so I guess the question is should we all pay or only the ones that have the problem after warrenty? If under warrenty then I say it should be repaired for free but if warrenty has ended than the owner should be responsible not all the consumers who may be interested in buying a ford product.

There is also another option don't buy a ford - not meant to be a smart a$$ but its true, in the end ford will have to design a better product - my family always had fords currenty 7 and we have had more problems with the 5.4 than we ever had with any 302 - so much for computer design enginering.

Recall why? is it a safety concern? an enviromental concern? Product concern? (how many vehicle have the problem?)

If ford recalls it or atleast helps the customers out on afterwarrenty repairs thats good for the owner, but just remember in the end the consumer pays so personally I believe the potential to effect all vehicles doesn't justify every vehicle be recalled but if ford was willing to help those that were affected that would be a step in the right direction but then comes the question of how long should they help for? and what type of help should they provide?

Can plug looseing and blowing out be considered normal wear like piston rings, tires, etc

Old 10-16-2002, 09:19 PM
Personally I also think to may people like to sue, if this is because they don't want to take responsibilty I don't know but now adays nothing is my fault always someone elses - I wonder how many lawyers actually make an honest living or just chase ambulances - perhaps the abulance chaser's should be recalled

Old 10-16-2002, 09:59 PM
Thumbs down

What a long winded rambling post. Are all Canadians this dense?

Old 10-16-2002, 10:02 PM
Red face

BEC308 What a long winded rambling post. Are all Canadians this dense?

Do all americans have their head up ther A$$

Old 10-16-2002, 10:07 PM
your a salesman? enough said

Old 10-16-2002, 10:07 PM
Just remember on who's site what country you leave your lame *** comments. That have no relevance to the issue at hand ....
For Gods sake you don't even make sense your spelling and grammar just sucks.

Quick Reply: Blown Plugs, damaged cylinder head