Recommend a good OBD II scanner?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommend a good OBD II scanner?

I would like to have a scanner just to be able to diagnose my problem BEFORE I take it in to be fixed.

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced scanner? I have a 2000 F-150, so I presume I will be looking for an OBD-II for use with my EEC-V system...

I don't really need anything fancy, just something that will tell me my codes and won't cost an arm and a leg...Also purchasing online is a plus if anyone knows of any sites....Thanks

Old 08-27-2002, 12:22 AM
There's all kinds of cheap simple units out there. Most run in the $125-200 range.
I've had two Actron units. They worked good and were super simple to use, just didn't do enough for me. I wanted to find a unit that read what they call generic OBDII codes plus read the manufaturer specfic codes. I also wanted to find one that would give a readout of all the senor values and do data recording.

Now you got a couple of choices.
If you have a lap top you can go with someone like Autotap and that thing we do about whatever you want. Now if your like me I wanted something self contained so I wasn't dragging out the laptop all the time getting it dirty or something.

I finally decided I wanted a Auto x-ray unit as they provided the most features for the least amount of $. The unit was still going to be over $350 so I have kind of held off on getting it.

Here's are my best resources:
www.obdii.com- just info
www.autoxray.com/index.htm
www.autotap.com
www.kalequip.com
www.ontool.com
www.auterraweb.com
www.autocheckup.com

You can get an Actron unit new from Advance Auto or Autozone for $150 or less. Also, check e-bay I seen some really sheap scanners there too. The latest Actron unit is orange and provides the definitons to the codes on screen, just a little side note.

Old 08-27-2002, 07:14 AM
KYFordFreak

I want to read manufacturer specific codes too.....Thanks for the info and links...Where does it link up, BTW?

Old 08-27-2002, 08:10 AM
AB
Hi,
Yesterday I came across the Micro-Tuner on Superchip board. I think you might want to check this out...
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...threadid=87839

Old 08-27-2002, 01:17 PM
If you have a laptop available . . .

http://www.obd-2.com/

. . . had a group buy the beginning of the year, but still good prices!

Bob

Old 08-27-2002, 09:46 PM
Yeah just reading the generic ones can be only half the story. I want to be able to see what a dealer tech would. I want to be able to retrieve my own ABS and chassis/body codes. Also some of the Auto x-ray units can read the OBD I (96 and earlier) stuff.
I will tell you that to read the manufacturer specific codes is an upgrade option from Auto x-ray, it's not standard on any unit or wasn't about two months ago. Check Ontool.com or do a Google search as I remember seeing the Auto x-ray unit in a cimbo pack for like $358.

Also, for anyone interested I have complied a Excel spreadsheet of all the scanners I was researching. I would be happy to email to anyone, if you just email me at thomaswright5714@hotmail.com

That Superchips Micro tuner seems to be a really nice trick little unit. That may be my next major purchase and the heck with a flip chip. I do have a few questions on different aspects of it. Like on the OBD II scanner portion will it read the manufacturer specific codes? Someone give me a ballpark figure on the cost of one. I will probably never need to do any real custom engine work on this truck so this would do me fine I think. My next truck will be all GO first then SHOW. I've did the show thing and won, now I want to do the fast thing and WIN!

Old 08-28-2002, 09:06 PM
KYFordFreak

What's the difference between the Autoxray EZ-Link Scanner and Reader? Is it real time versus just pulling codes?

Old 08-29-2002, 12:19 AM
Well sort of. The "Reader" will do just that read and erase the codes only. You can check what they call MIL readiness monitors but that's nothing more than to see that the truck has been through certain drive cycles ans usually gives a Pass/Fail conition and really no help.
Now the EZ- link scanner you can read codes, watch live sensor values, perform O2 tests, capture info on how the truck was running when the code was set, and even capture a few seconds of data which is nice for intermentit problems.
I'm not for sure what you want yours to do. Just getting the codes is good enough for some people. To me be able to see what each part is doing would be a big hel pin figuring out a problem.Example: I was having EGR problems and had to buy a digital volt/multimeter so I could test the various engine sensors. This was not an easy task as it could only be done at a standstill and I had to use push pins as probes to probe through the backside of the connector. With a proper scan tool I could have hooked it too the underdash OBD II port and read the values all day long even when driving.

The software for most laptops and Palms will give the sensor info. Just the fact you have to get your laptop greasy, risk damage of breakage, connecting and unconnecting cables, and power issues.

email me and I'll send you my spreadsheet with the pricing info I've found.

*Note* I am no way paid, work for, support, or even own a Auto x-ray product yet. Just stating facts and opinions on the research I've done.

Old 08-30-2002, 12:29 AM
wtd
I have the AutoXray scanner and for a handheld unit, its pretty good. I have the propack with all the cables for most computer controlled cars from 1982 to present. I also have the enhanced OBDII for GM and Ford in mine and the PC link cable and program. With all this, I have about $500 in mine. Its not cheap, but it was cheaper than having to go buy a laptop and than a program like Autotap for additional money. You can get just the OBDII scanner and cable and PC link for $289.99 at www.autocheckup.com Go to www.autoxray.com and go to their "where to buy" section for other places to buy these scanners.

Wayne

Quick Reply: Recommend a good OBD II scanner?