ram air & water

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2001, 11:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post ram air & water

Is there a problem with a ram air hood letting water into the engine? What precautions would the ram air intake take to prevent water from coming in?

------------------
2001 F150 XLT Supercab Flareside "Sport"
Black
Smittybilt step bars
puddle lamps
Ford logo brake light hitch cover

<A HREF="http://members.home.net/deep6blue" TARGET=_blank> </A><A HREF="http://www.empiremotorsports.com/Html's/Hitch%20Covers%20-%20Order%20Page%203.html" TARGET=_blank> </A>

Old 06-23-2001, 12:28 AM
Cool

I once owned a '70 Torino 429 SCJ with a real ram air hood scoop and I drove it in all kinds of heavy rain and never had a problem. My harley has a ram air type open ended air cleaner (Hyper-Charger) and the air cleaner is exposed to direct rain in the front and never have had a problem with it either and it was just in a heavy downpour. There is such a small mist of water that can possibly enter the engine through the air filter in comparison to the large volume of air that rain will not be a problem. I certainly wouldn't hold a water hose on the air cleaner. I remember soneone saying that spraying a small amount of water in an engine intake is a good way to clean cylinder chambers. It is also a good way to have a blown engine because water will not compress. With rain the amount will be so small as not to cause a problem.
Several tests show that a ram air hood installed in the center of the hood does not increase performance because that area is in a low air pressure area and may infact reduce horsepower. That is why some Pontiacs and Chevelles had the scoop intake at the front of the hood or at the cowl. I have to say that an operational hood scoop sure looks nice

------------------
2000 F-150, XLT, SC, 5.4, 4X4, 355 LS, ORP, Black/Silver, class III, single CD, sliding glass, med. gray, keyless, elect. shift, engine date 8-18-99, Superchip. 2.02" corrected radiator-F75Z-8005-GA --- '93 Harley Fatboy Black & tons of chrome

Old 07-12-2001, 02:12 AM
BTW Nick truck Check out the pic of mine...
But I'm getting a ram air hood and IT BETTER give me better Horse power or i will be getting my $439.00 back from them... I have to get it painted and shipping all total is like $1000.00 But i know a paint and body guy and we are working a deal out so he will paint for free...But paint is If i'm paying so much for that i want more power... I could get a BLOWER for that price.

Quick Reply: ram air & water