#7 cyl misfire 5.4L part 2 help quick

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 04:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
#7 cyl misfire 5.4L part 2 help quick

Ok, I finally got the fuel rail off and got the #7 coil pack and plug out. That is if #7 is 3rd from the front on the drivers side or 2nd from the back, however you want to say it. The coil pack looks fine(how could I tell if it looked bad?) and the plug looked fine. No gunk or garbage. No oil on plug all connections looked dry past the seals. ????

So what now? Can anyone verify that I took out the right one? Also how can I tell the coil pack and plug are working? Can autozone test them? Can I just crank it over while holding the coil pack and plug next to the block or valve cover and see if it sparks; you know like ya did with the lawn mower. LOL!

Please Help! I gotta have this thing back together quick before It gets dark.

Thanks for any info as always!

Chris.

Old 08-22-2002, 06:29 PM
Ok here is my luck. I buy an OBD II code reader. I change the coil pack from the #7 cylinder to the #5 cylinder and vice versa. I disconnect the battery to reset the computer. I turn the key on and check for codes but guess what no codes. So I think well good. Maybe something was loose after all and when I put it all back together I tightened it up. No such luck. I start it up and it still runs like ****. No check engine light and no codes but nevertheless runs like ****. So now what just hope the light comes on again?

Any help?

Thanks,

Chris.

Old 08-22-2002, 07:51 PM
Ok after about 30 minutes I go back out and check the codes again and the #5 is misfiring now. So it is the coil pack. Which brand do you guys recommend?

Old 08-22-2002, 11:41 PM
Suspended For Violation of Vendor Rules
Motorcraft

Old 08-22-2002, 11:48 PM
OEM ...I think they are about $85.00 per ....

Old 08-23-2002, 12:24 PM
I'd stick with Motorcraft...don't know if anyone makes an aftermarket coil pack.

Old 08-23-2002, 06:47 PM
Ford wanted 100 bucks and I got one at NAPA for 45 bucks. Put it in and it runs great. Took the air intake off and took out the silencer and cleaned up the throttle body. Dont know that it made a big diff but made me feel better.

Thanks for all the advice guys. This board is great!

Quick Reply: #7 cyl misfire 5.4L part 2 help quick