Want to increase your gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2001, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He feeds his CDROM drive with rice krispies

Old 05-11-2001, 11:27 PM
Angry

I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER THAN TO SHARE MY SECRETS WITH YOU BUNCH OF HICKS. I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT YOU SPEND ALL THAT MONEY ON MODIFICATIONS TO YOUR TRUCKS AND THEN WHINE ABOUT PUTTING PREMIUM GASOLINE IN IT. SEE YA, WOULDN'T WANT TO BE YA.

------------------
2001 F150 XLT SUPERCAB
DIABLO CHIP
AIRRAID FIPK

Old 05-11-2001, 11:40 PM
from what I have been told, higher octane gas in an engine designed to run on a lower octane gas may in fact degrade performance and would otherwise confer no benefit. Gas is gas, more or less. But higher octane is for higher compression engines because higher octane gas can be compressed further without spontaneously combusting. That's why if you run lower octane gas in higher compression engine, your engine will ping, ie. gas will prematurely combust.

BTW, mothballs can be toxic! You don't want to handle them in quantities prescribed above on a regular basis. Local news did a special on people who had to evacuate from their homes because they laid down a lot of mothballs in their attics to drive away vermins. They had to hire a professional cleaning service to come vacuum out all their insulations in the attics to get rid of the mothballs. In the process, they found dead squirrels and birds that have been nesting in the attic.

Old 05-11-2001, 11:42 PM
Wink

Your secret is no secret. And as for myself, the feeling is mutual.

------------------
'96 F-150 302
Hedman Hedders, Catco Cat., Gibson Super Truck, K&N F.I.P.K.

Old 05-12-2001, 12:01 AM
Thumbs down

Man, I thought the mothball thing was something you did to someone you really had it out for. Kinda like the sugar in the tank thing, unless you're into self-mutilation?!

Old 05-12-2001, 07:33 AM
Question

ARUNOB:

1) What percentage mileage increase have you observed with this method?

2) What brand mothballs work best?

3) Does your exhaust have a funny smell?

Old 05-12-2001, 08:40 AM
ARUNBOB: And besides flaming us skeptics, you might PROVE you case by posting data from something more scientific than your gas mileage figures, guesses and beliefs. How, exactly, does increasing octane increase gas mileage? Who has done studies to prove this? If this were so, why hasn't the auto industry moved to equip all vehicles with engines that require higher octane gas? Superchipped trucks must run high octane gas. Do these trucks get better gas mileage because of the higher octane? Or because of the chip and changes in shift point, timing advance, etc?
Unless you can prove your case, Arunbob, I think you're just whistling tunes thru the seat of your pants.

Old 05-12-2001, 09:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Before you put moth ***** in your tank maybe you should put some moth ***** in a container you can see into and put some gas on them to see if they disolve as stated.

Any ticky residue would not be good for the filter or the injectors.

Old 05-12-2001, 10:34 AM
This is a very entertaining post. I think that the mothball suggestion is being debated from all levels. From outright skeptics to those who would actually try it. Very funny.
I just want to know how long before someone posts here that they are angry at Ford because they towed their brand new truck in with a tank full of mothballs and the service manager questioned the warranty.

------------------
2001 Expedition 5.4L XLT
4WD + Towing Package
Edelbrock IAS
Superchip
Gibson SS Side Swept

Old 05-12-2001, 02:39 PM
Hey...I have an idea!!!! Why not put a couple rocks of crack in your tank?? Your truck will turn the 1/4 mile in 11 seconds and run all month without a fill up!! Hell, it may even loose some weight!!!

mothballs.... sheesh!!

------------------
2000 EB EXPY
3.55 LS
K&N
Gibson SS Exhaust
Moonroof
Superchip
Royal Purple 5w-30
01 lightning headlamps and corners
00 Lightning wheels with Michelin pilot LTX 285/55/18 The mod bug has bitten!!

Old 05-12-2001, 04:16 PM
Cool

edit

[This message has been edited by max mitchell (edited 05-13-2001).]

Old 05-12-2001, 06:13 PM
Hmm so you say that higher octane gas burns cleaner? Our trucks are made low octane gas. Our engines don't run hot enough and have enough compression to fully burn high octane gas. This leads to carbon buildup. Once in a while you can get away with 89 octane and your computer may actually compensate for it and give you more power but a ford truck engine can't make use of anything higher. BTW i bet the mothballs are more expensive then high octane gas. Don't any places in your area sell race gas? I can get 110 octane gas for $4.15 a gallon.

Old 05-12-2001, 06:27 PM
More info found on the same site:

-All cars should use 5w-30
-All cars with synthetic oil use 0w-30
-Tranny fluid changed every 6,000 miles
-If you use synthetic oil change the oil every 20,000 miles but change the filter every 3,000
-Change diff oil once a year.
-All tires should be at maximum pressure for that tire (35psi minimum) no matter what the door sticker says.
-On a seperate page not referenced above he recommends the 5 mothballs per gallon of gas, and 1 oz of wd-40 per gallon.

This guy should be sued. Some of his recommendations just waste your money others are just plain dangerous. Like setting your tire pressure at 35 psi minimum. Some tires are rated for 28 psi max! Also the tire pressure depends on the weight of the vehicle. You should do what the door sticker says. People with little vehicle knowledge might set there tire pressure to 35 without reading the max pressure warning.

Would somebody on the list like to follow his car car tips? We will see how long the vehicle lasts.

-Jon

Old 05-12-2001, 06:53 PM
What the heck is this guy smokin? I'd love better mileage just like the rest of everyone here but I sure as hell wouldnt believe anything or do anything this guys says.

------------------
Jeff Randol
2000 Ford F150
Ext. Cab 4x4 Lariat
5.4 Auto, Off Road Package, Fully Loaded
& lovin it!!
MODS: KN Air Filter
Glasspack exhaust

Upcoming: AMSOIL Dual Oil filter system, FIPK, Fiberglass Topper, Spray-In Bedliner, Wood Dash Kit

Old 05-12-2001, 07:02 PM
Ford4Ever- those tips you found from that site are probally the most stupid things you can possibly do to your car....well....maybe those 5" coffee can exhaust tips you see on those accords and civics. Some People...geeze

Brian

[This message has been edited by Barto24 (edited 05-12-2001).]

Quick Reply: Want to increase your gas mileage?