2001 4.6L Oil Leak? Need opinions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2001, 09:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2001 4.6L Oil Leak? Need opinions.

I've been noticing excess oil on the back row of bolts on the oil pan and a light coating all over the ft. diff. Doesn't make a noticable spot on the drive, (black top) but bolts develope large drops on them after a while. It also leaks down onto the tranny, from just between the back side of the oil pan, and the tranny itself. I took my baby into the dealer yesterday for an oil change and to have them check the leak out, but they couldn't see where it was coming from, so they added an oil dye to it, which I hear, allows them to see the dyed oil using a black light type of deal that gets REALLY hot. Is their anyway I could help the dealer to find the leak? After I got home, I washed everything off underneath so anything additional, is new oil.

BTW, the oil on the differential I believe is gear oil, but I'm not sure. It always has a small amount of light colored, light weight oil at the seam of the ft. diff. Is their any way to check the fluid level of the diff.?

Lastly, do the 5 speed manual trannys have oil in them? If so, how do I check it's oil level and how often do I service it. Where does the oil go in at? Thanks!!!

-AR

------------------
2001 F-150 XLT 4x4 Off-Road, SuperCab, Flareside, Black[*] 4.6L Triton V8 HPI[*] 5 Speed / 3:55 Reg. Axle[*] Keyless[*] Premium Audio CD

Mods:[*] K&N Cold Airbox / Throttle Body Mod.[*] 3" Cat-Back (No Muffler, Turn-Down)[*] Cranked Torsion Bars[*] APC XENON PLASMA Super Whites[*] Bugshield[*] Bedliner[*] Ventshades[*] Taillight Covers (Slotted)[*] Removed Mudflaps[*] "Light Argent" 4x4 Off-Road Decals[*] K&N & Flowmaster Stickers (Under the Hood)

Audio:[*] Clarion 6675[*] Rockford Fosgate 5x7's[*] Rockford Fosgate G360A2 Punch Amp[*] JL 12W3-D2 (Ported)[*]Viper 500 Alarm

Build Date: 8/23/00 (Kansas City Plant)

arobbins@mail.liberty.k12.mo.us

Old 05-03-2001, 10:01 AM
Morons, you get a bunch of oil everywhere and then bring it in and they see it all over and cant tell where its coming from, fine. Now they put in dye and you bring it back and now they have neat colored oil everywhere that they can see with a special light. How will adding color to oil everywhere point you toward where its coming from? Get all the oil off then run the engine, maybe go down the block and pop the hood and look close to see where it originates from, thats the best way to do it, once it falls onto something its useless.

Old 05-03-2001, 10:05 AM
Little ammendment to above, if the oil is falling straight down from the leaking point they will see it and problem solved of course you would see it too. If its on the top or side it will cover an area and your wont be able to tell exactly where its coming from.

Old 05-03-2001, 10:15 AM
Talking

Hehehe...thanks man. I'll see what I can see this evening.

-AR

Old 05-03-2001, 10:18 AM
If it is a constant leak and you know the general area wipe everything off and rub some flour on there, it should soak up and show your the spot.

Old 05-03-2001, 10:22 AM
Lightbulb

And, as far as checking the fluid in the 5sp, and in the front diff, they have the same procedure. You just open the fill plugs (the higher ones) and stick your baby finger in. If you feel that the lube level is right at the top, it's good. If you stick your finger in and can't feel any lube, then it's time to add some.

I use a suction pump, and pump it in the fill hole until it starts to seep out. Then plug it and clean up.

Bambino

------------------
Bambino Online
Owners Gallery Truck #179
1999 reg cab/short box/ORP/Silver on Dk Graphite - 3.55; 4.6l 5sp; factory snapless tonneau; kicker amp'd sub tubes; rockford fosgate components up front; Custom Exhaust; Mobil 1 5w30/Motorcraft FL820-S; Amsoil Series 2k in the diffs.

Old 05-04-2001, 12:37 AM
Talking

Thanks guys...I'll keep you updated.

Bambino, are you running Amsoil in your tranny? If so, did you notice an improvment? What kind of oil does it require?

-AR

------------------
2001 F-150 XLT 4x4 Off-Road, SuperCab, Flareside, Black[*] 4.6L Triton V8 HPI[*] 5 Speed / 3:55 Reg. Axle[*] Keyless[*] Premium Audio CD

Mods:[*] K&N Cold Airbox / Throttle Body Mod.[*] 3" Cat-Back (No Muffler, Turn-Down)[*] Cranked Torsion Bars[*] APC XENON PLASMA Super Whites[*] Bugshield[*] Bedliner[*] Ventshades[*] Taillight Covers (Slotted)[*] Removed Mudflaps[*] "Light Argent" 4x4 Off-Road Decals[*] K&N & Flowmaster Stickers (Under the Hood)

Audio:[*] Clarion 6675[*] Rockford Fosgate 5x7's[*] Rockford Fosgate G360A2 Punch Amp[*] JL 12W3-D2 (Ported)[*]Viper 500 Alarm

Build Date: 8/23/00 (Kansas City Plant)

arobbins@mail.liberty.k12.mo.us

Quick Reply: 2001 4.6L Oil Leak? Need opinions.