PI head swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2001, 02:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PI head swap

I am thinking of swaping heads from my 97 expy to the new PI heads and porting them out, possibly putting a thick head gasket to reduce compression. Would my current intake bolt to the new heads and would it need custom tunning?

------------------
97 expedition 4x4-3.73LS 5.4 leather cd changer husky floormats 17" eagle alloys-Painted "starboard" running boards-Custom Wet Okole seat covers with "Expedition" logos-egr painted fender flares-Painted ventvisors-Bug deflector- 5% window tint-Chrome warn brushgaurd with xd9000i winch-Ion driving lights-Piaa 520 Series Crystal Ion coated Driving lights-KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA SUPERCHARGER-Dual 4" chrome tips with dynomax superturbo muffler-Jba headers-3x10 inch Mtx blue thunder subs-1x12 inch mtx blue thunder sub-Rockford fosgate 1100 watt amp-2 Alpine 500 watt amps-Panasonic day/night reciever-4 polk 5x7 speakers-2 pioneer truck box speakers-3 12 inch neon blue tubes under all seats...

Old 04-29-2001, 02:31 AM
Arrow

Look for posts by Neal on the subject. He's provided a lot of onfo. If I remember right, the intake will not fit. I know I read where Neal described exactly why, although why doesn't matter if they won't work

------------------
2000 EDDIE BAUER EXPEDITION 4x2
  • Estate Green
  • 5.4 ltr
  • 3:55 LS rear
  • Superchip!
  • Airaid FIPK
  • Gibson S/S Swept Side Cat Back Exhaust
  • Hellwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
  • Edelbrock Performer IAS Shocks
  • Xenon Super White Head and Driving Lights
  • Clear Corners (installed then removed and reinstalled OEM's)
  • Tow Package
  • Rear Load Leveling
  • Moonroof
  • Century Child Seat!
  • Front Polyurethane Anti-Sway Bar Bushings recieved, wrong part number

-->Come share my Addiction<--

[This message has been edited by FamilyRide (edited 04-29-2001).]

Old 04-29-2001, 05:44 AM
evo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Hey Slick X, How do you like your Kenne Bell? I just ordered one for my 2000,XLT,F/S,L/S,5.4. EVO

Old 04-29-2001, 05:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... SLICKX : Your current 5.4 intake manifild will bolt up to a set of 5.4 "PI" heads. It's the 5.4 intake that won't bolt onto a 4.6 because the 5.4 is wider. The 5.4 has a taller deck height than the 4.6. I would suggest to you to get a SUPERCHIP. If you have one already than give MIKE TROYER a call so he can make a custom program for the ported/polished "PI" heads. Hope this helps you out.

------------------
NEAL " THE H.P FREAK" E-MAIL :nnewman@sympatico.ca
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, ***** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), fiberglass smooth wiper cowl (painted OXFORD WHITE), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, 3 AUTOMETER guage pods, filled with tranny temp, engine temp, and oil preasure AUTOMETER "PHANTOM" guages,custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, custom programed SUPERCHIP "FLIP-CHIP", BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit (on stage 5 setting)BYPASS CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE/PREASURE REGULATOR VALVE, ASP POWER PULLEYS, custom tig welded and ported JBA "JET BLACK coated headers, twin DERALE 16 INCH ELECTRIC FANS, PERMA COOL 14"/10" tranny cooler with 10" electric fan, PERMA-COOL external tranny filter, custom ported (STOCK) throttle body, custom digital air intake temp sensor, custom ported TB intake elbow, relocated ATS, FORD RACING 24LB injectors, RUSSELL stainless steel braided tranny lines with fittings.

FUTURE MODS : BBK 75MM THROTTLE BODY, 80MM PRO-M MASS AIR METER, AADI F1 RAM AIR HOOD WITH CUSTOM FABRICATED RAM AIR SET-UP, CAL-TRAC TRACTION BARS, EXTRUDE HONED INTAKE MANIFOLD, SHM CUSTOM FUEL RAILS, 90/10 FRONT CE SHOCKS, 70/30 REAR CE SHOCKS, BELL TECH 2/4 DROP, EXPEDITION CENTER CONSOLE, HARLEY DAVISON F-150 LOWER FRONT VALANCE (painted oxford white) and a KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA SUPERCHARGER.

ESTIMATED H.P TO DATE : 340H.P / 425ft/lbs of torque.

CURRENT PERFORMANCE : 1/4 MILE - 14.52E.T * MPH - 93.73 * 0-60MPH - 5.8 * 1/8 MILE - 9.2 * 60 FT - 2.0

OTHER TOYS : "83" PRO STREET FORD RANGER : 351-w stroked to 408c.i 625H.P (natural), 875H.P with 250H.P "BIG SHOT" N.O.S kit, tubbed (crome moly tubing), 12 point chrome moly roll cage, 4-link with coil overs, MUSTANG II front suspension, c-4 tranny (race prepped), 4000rpm stall converter(8 INCH), 3" chrome moly driveshaft,AUTOMETER guages, 16.50 MICKEY THOMPSON rear tires, 4" M/T front tires, CENTERLINE CON-VO PRO rims, fiberglass hood - bumper - prostock hood scoop, wishbone trac-link, two chrome moly driveshaft loops, 16 gallon JAZ fuel cell,etc

Old 04-29-2001, 06:18 PM
Why would you want to decrease compression? The higher the compression ratio the more power you get.

------------------
1997 XLT Teal 4.6L Flareside 4x4 ORP. Automatic, Reg. cab, 3.55LS, tinted windows, bug deflector, Dual exhaust, K&N Generation 2 air filter, BullDog keyless entry/remote start, Modern 16" wheels, bedliner, Covercraft tonneau cover, White faced gauges, electronic shift on the fly, Clarion ADX5655z Double Din Cassette & CD, 4 Pioneer TS-A6865 speakers and superchip. Going to add headers.

Future mods: Supercharger, headers, NOS, tranny upgrade(heavy duty gears, clutch packs, etc.), performance torque converter, composite driveshaft, bore engine 30 over, new pistons, crank, and rods, performance heads, new L if they still make them and I like the way it looks, and a Z06 Vette or BMW Z3.

Click here to see more pictures

Old 04-29-2001, 07:04 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by King James:
Why would you want to decrease compression? The higher the compression ratio the more power you get.

</font>
obviously you know nothing about blowers. any good engine building book or possibly a manufacturer's website would help. No need to reinvent the wheel. Do some research.

FYI, you do NOT want to decrease the compression with a thicker headgasket. More prone to failure. Increase the volume of the combustion chamber

[This message has been edited by Matt90GT (edited 04-29-2001).]

Old 04-29-2001, 09:54 PM
Red face

Slick X,

Sorry, I don't know why I thought you had a 4.6, which is why I said it wouldn't fit.

But I was right about Neal getting you the answer

------------------
2000 EDDIE BAUER EXPEDITION 4x2
  • Estate Green
  • 5.4 ltr
  • 3:55 LS rear
  • Superchip!
  • Airaid FIPK
  • Gibson S/S Swept Side Cat Back Exhaust
  • Hellwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
  • Edelbrock Performer IAS Shocks
  • Xenon Super White Head and Driving Lights
  • Clear Corners (installed then removed and reinstalled OEM's)
  • Tow Package
  • Rear Load Leveling
  • Moonroof
  • Century Child Seat!
  • Front Polyurethane Anti-Sway Bar Bushings recieved, wrong part number

--&gt;Come share my Addiction&lt;--

Old 04-30-2001, 01:19 AM
EVO,the kenne bell is a great blower....I get 5psi off the line and 8psi at the shift...I want to run a 7psi pulley(around 10 at shift) and get a custom chip, have superchip but needs work, along with the new heads. I need to find a company that manufactures good headgaskets so I can get a custom one made. Neal, did you have to reprogram for the injectors, I need to upgrade if running 7psi.

------------------
97 expedition 4x4-3.73LS 5.4 leather cd changer husky floormats 17" eagle alloys-Painted "starboard" running boards-Custom Wet Okole seat covers with "Expedition" logos-egr painted fender flares-Painted ventvisors-Bug deflector- 5% window tint-Chrome warn brushgaurd with xd9000i winch-Ion driving lights-Piaa 520 Series Crystal Ion coated Driving lights-KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA SUPERCHARGER-Dual 4" chrome tips with dynomax superturbo muffler-Jba headers-3x10 inch Mtx blue thunder subs-1x12 inch mtx blue thunder sub-Rockford fosgate 1100 watt amp-2 Alpine 500 watt amps-Panasonic day/night reciever-4 polk 5x7 speakers-2 pioneer truck box speakers-3 12 inch neon blue tubes under all seats...

Old 04-30-2001, 05:00 PM
evo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey Slick X, Where do you live in MS. I lived in the Gulfport Biloxi area 79'-89.

Old 04-30-2001, 08:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

HI!... SLICKX : Yes I had to have MIKE TROYER do a custom program for my 24LB injectors on my new "FLIP-CHIP". I hav'nt had a chance to install my new "FLIP-CHIP" yet because it requires a PRO-M 80mm MAF to work properly. I am currently running my other SUPERCHIP with the 24LB injectors and am not having any problems, but I am probably not getting the FULL AFFECT of the 24's this way. If I were you I would call up MIKE T and talk to him about the "FLIP-CHIP". He won't steer you wrong. Hope this helps you out.

------------------
NEAL " THE H.P FREAK" E-MAIL :nnewman@sympatico.ca
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, ***** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), fiberglass smooth wiper cowl (painted OXFORD WHITE), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, 3 AUTOMETER guage pods, filled with tranny temp, engine temp, and oil preasure AUTOMETER "PHANTOM" guages,custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, custom programed SUPERCHIP "FLIP-CHIP", BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit (on stage 5 setting)BYPASS CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE/PREASURE REGULATOR VALVE, ASP POWER PULLEYS, custom tig welded and ported JBA "JET BLACK coated headers, twin DERALE 16 INCH ELECTRIC FANS, PERMA COOL 14"/10" tranny cooler with 10" electric fan, PERMA-COOL external tranny filter, custom ported (STOCK) throttle body, custom digital air intake temp sensor, custom ported TB intake elbow, relocated ATS, FORD RACING 24LB injectors, RUSSELL stainless steel braided tranny lines with fittings.

FUTURE MODS : BBK 75MM THROTTLE BODY, 80MM PRO-M MASS AIR METER, AADI F1 RAM AIR HOOD WITH CUSTOM FABRICATED RAM AIR SET-UP, CAL-TRAC TRACTION BARS, EXTRUDE HONED INTAKE MANIFOLD, SHM CUSTOM FUEL RAILS, 90/10 FRONT CE SHOCKS, 70/30 REAR CE SHOCKS, BELL TECH 2/4 DROP, EXPEDITION CENTER CONSOLE, HARLEY DAVISON F-150 LOWER FRONT VALANCE (painted oxford white) and a KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA SUPERCHARGER.

ESTIMATED H.P TO DATE : 340H.P / 425ft/lbs of torque.

CURRENT PERFORMANCE : 1/4 MILE - 14.52E.T * MPH - 93.73 * 0-60MPH - 5.8 * 1/8 MILE - 9.2 * 60 FT - 2.0

OTHER TOYS : "83" PRO STREET FORD RANGER : 351-w stroked to 408c.i 625H.P (natural), 875H.P with 250H.P "BIG SHOT" N.O.S kit, tubbed (crome moly tubing), 12 point chrome moly roll cage, 4-link with coil overs, MUSTANG II front suspension, c-4 tranny (race prepped), 4000rpm stall converter(8 INCH), 3" chrome moly driveshaft,AUTOMETER guages, 16.50 MICKEY THOMPSON rear tires, 4" M/T front tires, CENTERLINE CON-VO PRO rims, fiberglass hood - bumper - prostock hood scoop, wishbone trac-link, two chrome moly driveshaft loops, 16 gallon JAZ fuel cell,etc

Quick Reply: PI head swap