5.4 or Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2001, 10:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 5.4 or Diesel

I don't know much about diesel but I am interested in an F-250 and I heard the diesel gets better mpg and the fuel is cheaper. Is this true? What are the pros and cons?

Old 04-29-2001, 11:15 AM
Dlbullock....Welcome to F150online.com!
I owned a 99 F350 SuperDuty Crew Cab 4x4 with the PSD, 3.73 axle ratios and 6 speed manual. I can't speak for the mileage of the 5.4 in a SuperDuty but I can tell you that I averaged 15 mpg in town with my truck and saw a high of 17.2 on the highway.
The cost of the diesel option causes a lot of buyers with towing needs to opt for the V10. If you are going to be putting a LOT of miles on the truck or towing very heavy trailers I would go with the diesel, otherwise opt for the V10 or 5.4.
At the time I purchased my truck I owned an 80 acre farm 3 hours west of my home in Dallas. I needed the power/mileage of the diesel. There is a wild card to all this though, the smile on my face every time I hit the starter!

------------------
2001.5 Lariat SCrew 4x4
Bright Red
Medium Graphite Leather
3.55 Limited Slip
Sliding Rear Window
Trailer Tow Pkg.
Off Road Package
Captains Chairs
6 Disc CD Changer
Rear Seat Entertainment
16x8 Weld Typhoon wheels
285 Bridgestone AT's

Old 04-29-2001, 02:19 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dlbullock:
I don't know much about diesel but I am interested in an F-250 and I heard the diesel gets better mpg and the fuel is cheaper. Is this true? What are the pros and cons?</font>
Zach gave you a pretty thorough reasoning for his PS. First, welcome to f150online!! This is a helluva site, enjoy it. On the motor choice, you need to evaluate what you will be using the truck for. Plan to do a lot of serious towing? Will you drive a likely 200k+ miles before selling the truck? Are you willing to spend $150 at the dealer everytime you need the oil changed? If you answered yes to all these questions then get a Diesel. They are rock solid engines and can pull a house down. Now, I noticed you compared the 5.4 to the PS. Not a very equal comparison at all. I have owned both the PS and know own a new 5.4. Both are great engines and serve their purpose well. If you are going to do some towing and not every day (under 7k #'s let say) the 5.4 should do the trick. True the Diesel will most likely get better or equal mileage but those motors are pricey!! I am not sure of what the cost is now on a PS but I am guessing around $4500 for the PS option. (someone else may know the exact amount) You can buy a lot of Gasoline for that amount of money. It pays to do the math there. I read once in Trailer Life magazine, a magazine dedicated to the RV crowd where heavy towing is common that you must own a diesel at least 90k miles before it begins to pay for itself in fuel mileage. I would weigh all the choices before you buy. They both are top notch engines and you cant go wrong with either if they fit your needs. Dont forget the v10 though!!

------------------
Jeff Randol
2000 Ford F150
Ext. Cab 4x4 Lariat
5.4 Auto, Off Road Package, Fully Loaded
& lovin it!!
MODS: KN Air Filter
Glasspack exhaust

Upcoming: AMSOIL Dual Oil filter system, FIPK, Fiberglass Topper, Spray-In Bedliner, Wood Dash Kit

Quick Reply: 5.4 or Diesel