What else?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2001, 10:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post What else?

I recently bought a '94 F-150 witha I-6, I've been replacing just about everything that I can get my hands on that needs to be replaced. So far I've replaced the following...fuel/air filter, spark plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, transmission fluid & filter, crankcase breather, and the PCV valve. Is there anything else I could do that would be wise to do that will improve and extend the life of my Ford? Thanks for any help.

Old 04-24-2001, 11:22 PM
Have you thought about a coolant change? And maybe changing the differential and transfer case oil. How's the engine belt? Hope these ideas help.

------------------
1999 4x4 F250 LightDuty XLT SuperCab 5.4L, 3.73, 4R100 trans.
Flowmaster exhaust, K&N FIPK, Superchip, Rancho RSX shocks, Hellwig rear swaybar, Stull billet grille, PIAA Air Dam with 2-PIAA Pro80XT's (85W Superwhites), 4-KC Daylighters (150W), Performance Accessories 3" Body Lift, 33/12.5/17 ProComp Mud Terrains on 17x8 American Racing Atlas Rims. Kenwood 7007 CD, Alpine 3342 Signal Processor, Alpine MRV-F353 5Ch. Amp, Pioneer TS-A6865 3-way speakers, MTX Thunderforms. CompuStar alarm/autostart.

[This message has been edited by Jupiterak (edited 04-24-2001).]

Old 04-25-2001, 01:19 AM
I agree with Jupiterak. Flush the cooling system and while you're at it, replace the thermostat. Inspect the hoses and belts and replace if they look questionable.

Old 04-25-2001, 01:29 AM
Enewman, we all commend you for your preventive maintence. Wish more people would do things like this to their trucks, and everything else they own. Their would be a heck of a lot less waste if we did!

------------------
Jeff Randol
2000 Ford F150
Ext. Cab 4x4 Lariat
5.4 Auto, Off Road Package, Fully Loaded
& lovin it!!
MODS: KN Air Filter
Glasspack exhaust

Upcoming: AMSOIL Dual Oil filter system, FIPK, Fiberglass Topper, Spray-In Bedliner, Wood Dash Kit

Old 04-25-2001, 01:39 AM
Well, of cousre I would check all the above things but I think I might add a fuel injector cleaner and a good oil additive ( Z-Max is the best IMO). I would also check the the brke system and the u-joints. Also, if it has AC and you plan on using it you might want that checked out to ( especailly if it has R-12).

------------------
97 Ford F150 XLT 4wd 4.6L auto, Std cab/Long bed 2 tone royal blue w tan bottom, PW,PL, and PM, captian chairs w/arm rests

Current Mods
K&N Filter
Xact Plug Wires- 8mm
Ventshade side window deflectors,read window deflector, bug guard, headlight and taillight blackouts
custom hand painted Ford emblems on door jamb guards and under hood on plastic intake cover
plastic mud guards
custom 4x4 off road graphics
Ford hitch cover and license plate frame
Custom carpet liner (protects factory carpet)
Slyvania Cool Blue Headlight and fog lamp bulbs
oh yeah, one custom dent and scratch from a deer the night before deer season

Old 04-25-2001, 07:49 AM
I forgot to mention that I've already replaced my belt, that made the old I-6 run real quiet! My next thing I have written down to do is the differential and trasfer case fluids. I haven't even thought about a coolant change, what is the up side of doing this? I'll probably put in a new thermostat soon, I might go with a JET Performance thermostat, heck it's only around $12 so I might as well by a good one. I need to do U-joints too. Thanks for everything guys.

------------------
1994 F-150 XL 4x4
I-6 300ci 88K miles
Auto Transmisson
Standard Cab, Long Bed
3.55 Limited Slip
20% Window Tint
Kenwood eXcelon X715 CD Player
Diamond Plated Delta Champion Toolbox
DeeZee Bright-Tread Bedside covers

Old 04-25-2001, 05:43 PM
Old antifreeze turns acidic which causes corrosion in our trucks. One of the first things to go if you don't change the coolant every two years, is the heater core. I swear, Ford heater cores are the weakest in the industry.