In the market for a new scan tool

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 01:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the market for a new scan tool

I just sold my Actron OBD-II tool in order to get a new one with more functions. While the Actron unit got the job done, I'm looking for a unit that has more features than just reading and erasing codes. I would like to stay around $300. While I do have access to a laptop, it's not mine and would require specail trips to go get it, so that kind eliminates a PC based setup at least for now.
What I would like it do:
generic codes
manufacturer specific codes
erase codes
parameter ID's ( PID'S)
real-time moitoring
freeze-frame data of event leading to MIL
a record or capture mode aka: flight recorder
on-screen definitons
portable type (handheld)
be compatiable with all makes if possible (would probably settle on a Ford only unit)

I know what I'm asking for is probably going to cost more than $300 but that's what I would like to spend and I wnat to see what's out there. No way I can afford a Snap-on or OTC $3000+ setup.

Right now I'm just doing research but would like to buy one within about 3 days or so. I have been thinking about the Auto x-ray unit. Any others?

Old 06-12-2002, 03:03 AM
Do you have a Palm Pilot?

If so: http://www.obd2.com/palm/data/palm_ford2.htm and it would be in your budget (provided you have the pilot). My wife has a Visor Neo... wonder if that would work with it... hmmm.

I guess I'm getting kind of out of line here but you can always take your home computer (kinda a pain) and dump it in the passenger seat and power it with a DC to 120vAC converter and run OBD2 software instead of a laptop.

Maybe?

Old 06-12-2002, 11:02 PM
Nope, no Palm and I have heard (just rumor) that there OBD scans on the Palm is not that great.
You can use up to 50ft of cord, that should be enough to pull truck upto to window and hook cable up. That would be a big hassle to setup and then run in and out of the house as you switched and changed things.
I can use a laptop whenever I want but it's still a hassle to go get at my girlfriends if I'm at home. Plus she doesn't want greasy finger prints on her precious laptop (yea shes uptight about it).
I'm really looking into the Auto x-ray unit. It does almost everything I want including 29 seconds of record time (not much time). I did find a Snap-on scan tool that's updated to 99 but it's $700.

Let me know if anyone finds anything.

Old 06-12-2002, 11:17 PM
Check out this reader:

http://www.ontool.com/store/product/17221

I have this particular model and it does everything that you mentioned. And the price is right too!

-Sean

Old 06-13-2002, 11:55 AM
KY: no no no... I said get your home computer and chuck it into the passenger side with a small 14 or 15 inch monitor (less power) and run an inverter so your turning your 12v vehicle power to 120vac!! Then you can drive wherever. You need at least a 300watt inverter though.

http://www.web-tronics.com/300watmodsin.html $40 bucks.

This is just a sample from a quick search I did but you get the jist of it.

Last edited by p_ferlow; 06-13-2002 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-13-2002, 05:49 PM
p_ferlow
I know, I saw that part of the post. That would be way to much of a hassle, you've never seen the mess of wires in my computer setup.
I wish I had a garage, I have an old 486 that would be good enough to run scan software.

Right now I am looking at
Auto x-ray
Kal Equipment ( by Actron but upper end stuff)

Quick Reply: In the market for a new scan tool