Need help with a fuel problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2002, 02:46 PM
tdo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help with a fuel problem

I have a 1988 F150 with dual tanks.

Let me preface that I have not worked on the truck related to this problem.

A few months ago the rear tank pump stopped working. It was replaced but soon failed again. It was then determined that the device that feeds the fuel from the two tanks to the single line must be bad and that was replaced.

Again I am not getting fuel.

What happens is the truck will drive along for awhile when switched to the back tank, then cut out. Switch to the front tank, kicks right back in, switch back to the back pump, will run anywhere from 1/2 mile to 5 miles then quite again until turned back to the front pump.

This has not been a Ford dealership working on the truck but a, usually, excellent private mechanic. He can't figure out what the problem is.

The switch seems to be ok as their is electricity to the pump.

When the second rear pump died, it was felt that the device (mentioned above) was the culprit, preventing the fuel pump from properly delivering the gas and burning it out. However, as mentioned that device was also replaced, and the problem continues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is a 5.0 liter truck, AOD, and I am the original owner. It has 115k miles.

Old 06-10-2002, 09:34 AM
tdo
Unhappy

bttt.

Dang, was hoping there might be a mechanic here that had dealt with this.

Old 06-11-2002, 12:56 AM
I would check the yahoo board on ford repair much more active site ...

Old 06-11-2002, 12:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Those trucks had a problem with the dual tank system. My friend had one of those trucks back in the mid nineties, and he got a recall letter about it. I'm not sure if this exact problem you're having is covered under the recall but it's worth looking into at a dealer. Some of the trucks were having fuel tank overflow problems when the pump from one tank to the other wouldn't shut off. I'm no fuel system expert, though. Good luck!!,,,,,98

Old 06-13-2002, 09:52 AM
tdo
Thank you for the replys.

I have checked yahoo, going from their front page, Sports and Recreation, Auto's... but can find no board on Ford repairs. If you could help me along there, I would surely appreciate it.

Also, if anyone has any other places they could recommend to possibly find an answer to my problem, I would appreciate the input.

Thomas

Old 06-13-2002, 11:23 PM
Could be a fouled tank switch. I had 2 fuel pumps replaced in the rear tank and one in the front on a 1995 F150. When I brought the truck in to be serviced, the first thing the mechanic did was check to see if the switch was operating properly. He said it was a pretty common thing. So check to see if the switch is telling the pumps to change over properly. Good luck.

Old 06-18-2002, 09:56 AM
tdo
Thank you for the response.

I will double check this.

Quick Reply: Need help with a fuel problem