Timing question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2002, 07:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Timing question

Can these newer f150s be off on there timing? If so what would the truck be acting like? My truck is slow to start and has a slight hesitation between pressing on the gas and acceleration, it also has a knock sound sometimes at start up. Im no mechanic but hopefully someone can understand what I am trying to explain.

Old 06-03-2002, 01:29 PM
for the knock make sure you have the correct oil filter, for instance a Fram filter will sometimes cause knock at start up. Also do a search on "Piston Slap"

You cannot adjust timing on these trucks. Try resetting the computer, once reset start the truck and let it idle for a while to set itself up then take it for a 20min drive and try to cover all conditions (IE highway,stop and go etc.)

If you still have the problem after 2 more tanks of gas after the reset you should have someone check the crank position sensor and make sure your throttle cable is adjusted properly

good luck-

Old 06-03-2002, 06:21 PM
I would first look at the fuel you are using.... Maybe try a grade higher if your using 87 or a different gas staion if you are consistantly going one place....

Lookat the easy things first...

Old 06-03-2002, 07:52 PM
If you talking about cam timing, yes they can be off and just a little will cause a world of driveability problems. The thing is, that it's not really possible for it to be off unless someone has had the chains off (like a leaky head gasket job). We have had a few mechanics in our shop put them together by the book and the cam on one side be retarded a little. Its such a problem that when i called the hotline about it, they faxed me a hand written and drawn sheet to help in timing them correctly.

Old 06-04-2002, 09:00 PM
Question

Thanks for the replies, if the cam timing was off , what way were the trucks acting up like?

Old 06-05-2002, 08:09 PM
Very shaky low idle, a little low power, but mostly the customers would complain about the rough idle. If you had any engine work that required the chains to be taken off, then you would have noticed it right away after that.

Quick Reply: Timing question