Low emission vehicle exhaust smell

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2001, 11:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Low emission vehicle exhaust smell

I recently traded in my '99 4.6 4x4 for a 2000 model. I noticed on the side window the 2000 is a LEV, low emission vehicle. The '99 was not. I live in northern Canada where we don't even require emission test on vehicles (lots of junkers on the road) so this is new to me. I think its great, we all need to help reduce pollution. My question is regarding the foul smell of the exhaust. It smells like rotten eggs. My '99 didn't but apparently this is normal. I have tried a few different types and grades of gas but it is alwaysfowl smelling. Does anyone know of any additive or type of gas that will help this condition. We have 3-4 months of freezing wheather and it is common to have to let your vehicle warm up alot and the smell get sreal bad if there isn't any wind. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Jay.

Old 03-20-2001, 12:57 AM
It's been many years since I smelled the sulphur stink come out of a catalytic converter vehicle. They used to stink bad years ago. They reduced the amount of sulphur compounds in the gas, that helped. But I think there is a trouble condition that you can get them to stink even now, but I'll be darned if I can remember what that was, was it a way too rich mixture? Somebody should know here.

Old 03-20-2001, 06:53 PM
one of the trucks had the EGO sensor plugs-ins switched right to left & had the sulpher smell.

------------------
97 Lariet-sc-4.6-4x off road-auto-3.55 LS-
superchip-Airraid-Perma-cool electric fan & controller

Quick Reply: Low emission vehicle exhaust smell