Oil inside intake manifold???

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2001, 10:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Oil inside intake manifold???

I pulled the intake manifold off my '98 4.6 Romeo over the weekend and found oil inside some of the runners of the intake. The lower plastic part of the intake had oil sitting in it as well.

I used this opportunity to put new wires and plugs on the engine and all of the plugs were in good condition and had a nice light brown color.

Any ideas of how oil is getting into the intake?

Thanks

------------------
1998 F-150 XLT, Ext Cab, 4.6/auto, 3.55 R, FlowMaster 40 Series w/ duel 3" chrome tips

Old 03-15-2001, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PCV valve problem or a bad crankcase vent? Both would be made worse by excessive blow-by.

Old 03-16-2001, 12:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

It is perfectly normal to have oil inside the intake. It has built up over time due to PCV gases traveling inside the intake to be burnt in the combustion process.

Put it back together and enjoy !

Old 03-16-2001, 10:45 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Ted'98,

Both dgipalo and georgekillian are correct. Some of the Lightning owners are venting the crankcase to atmosphere. Their problem is compounded by the suction created by the blower. I would not do this myself but maybe it would be a solution for you. I clean my TB every once and a while so it doesn't get too dirty. Checking the PCV valve for clogging and cleaning the passage is about all that can be done.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Quick Reply: Oil inside intake manifold???