Noise when turning into a drive way

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Noise when turning into a drive way

OK folks, I'm hoping this isn't much to worry about but I thought I would ask you all if you've heard of this.

On a few occasions when truning into a driveway and as the truck hits the small uphill part of the drive way I've heard and felt a bit of grinding or slipping noise. Sort of like the tranny slipping. It's very hard to describe.

I've only felt it a few time and maybe I should post this on the tranny section but to be honest it's one of those things that is hard to describe, it just doesn't feel right.

I have an 02 screw and it is going in for it's first 3000 mile service this week. I know that the dealer will proabaly tell me they couldn't duplicate the symptom so I was hoping to get some ideas from you good folk before I take it in so that I can tell them what to look for.

Thanks

Old 05-13-2002, 06:47 PM
Cool

Iwao, at first I thought that I knew exactly what was happening but after reading your post, maybe not. At that kind of low mileage, I wouldn't think that it is the tranny. What I was originally thinking was that it could be the ball joints, tie rod ends OR something in the steering section. My brother has a '98 F150 and he had both of his tie rod ends break off while he was turning into his laneway. So that was where I was going to tell you to start, but I still would check it out just to make sure. If you should EVER have any problems in that section have them replace the tie rod ends OR ball joints with ones that come with grease zerks. These are greaseable and will last alot longer than non-greaseable one. I am going to have the two lower ball joints changed tomorrow morning for greaseable ones.

Another question would be, do you ever hear it while driving around OR at anyother time ???? OR is it just when you are turning a certain direction OR if you hit the little curb section going into your laneway ??? If it is when you are turning then I would probably look at the front end steering / suspension first.

Hope this helps and keep us updated on your progress.

Have Fun & Keep on Truckin'
Dean

Old 05-13-2002, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the info.

I was thinking about the times it has happened and it seems to be while turning at very low speeds maybe even more so as I slow down fast into a trun. Such as when you speed up to make a left turn in front of an on coming car but then slow down right at the end so that you don't run the bottom of your bumper into the up slope of a drive way.

I'm positive it has happend going into left trun and I'm pretty sure it has happened going into a right turn as well.

I can't remeber hearing it happen just driving around. It really doesn't happen that often maybe once a week or so.

Old 05-13-2002, 07:46 PM
It's could be the steering stops. When you turn all the way to the right or left and hit a bump you will here a grind or scheek. Look under the truck at the turning point you will see what looks like bolt put some grase on both sides and see if it gets better

Old 05-13-2002, 08:27 PM
Yeah Scheek sounds familiar

Actually if I had to describe the sound a scheeeek would be as close as I could come.

Now, I don't think it happens when I'm turning all the way but it is when I'm turning and hitting a bupm.

I just looked under the front tites and there are some bolts with nuts attaches to them that have little notches cut out of the nuts. They seem to be held in place by some cotter (sp??) pins. Is this what you are talking about?

You might have to be a little more specific, I'm emberassed to say that I'm a bit mechanichaly challenged.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 05-13-2002, 09:23 PM
No, look in the area of the lower ball joint you will see what looks like a bolt but with a rounded head they are the stops one on each side of truck

Quick Reply: Noise when turning into a drive way