"Newbie" thoughts on air intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2001, 12:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down "Newbie" thoughts on air intake

Well, had my 01' F-150 5.4 for 3 weeks now and love it. Had a Superchip from my old Explorer that was re-programed for the 5.4, and have a Gibson SS in the mail,thanks to all you guys. I did the stock intake cheapy configuration to air intake as is listed in the tech. tip section of this board and it helped. What I noticed is that the K&N filter that I bought, and for that matter, the K&N filter that comes with the FIPK and Air aid are designed and built for the restrictive OME box that everyone is trying to get rid of...It seems that what would be much better is a filter that starts round to fit all these systems, then flares into a large rectangle with the largest filter surface area open facing the side-wall hole in wheel well, that's where the cool air is going to come from.
The current filter is actually faced-off in that direction. To put it short, the filter is designed for the old restriction box, and is not optimum for the a/m free-breathing kits. I wonder if one of the big 3 filter manufacturers could do better? Congrads on a great site
Winder

Quick Reply: "Newbie" thoughts on air intake