Help...will not hold idle...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2002, 09:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help...will not hold idle...

5.4L, 68K miles, zero problem to date.

Started it up this morning and it died immediately. Started it again, same thing. Will not hold idle unless I hold it with gas pedal. Never had any problems with this truck. It has been awfully damp lately, but this is a new problem. Chech engine light is on.

Any ideas on what I should look for? The filter is not clean but not filthy either. Plug’s are original, oil changed every 4-6K miles with synthetic.

Where should I start looking before I drag it to Ford? I like to fix things myself as much as possible. I have not run the car on the road yet to see if there are other problems.

THANKS for any help!

Old 04-27-2002, 11:04 AM
UPDATE:
Trucks runs, idles, good now after I had left the hood open and engine off for the time it took to write a bunch of e-mails.

Wonder if moisture was a problem (no more than usual) or will problem reappear (when I am out on road!)?

Old 04-27-2002, 11:32 PM
I had the same symptom, (it even went away and came back once or twice, like it's doing with you).

Problem:
Bad idle air control

The dealer replaced this under warranty (happend at 30k miles) and no problems since.

Old 04-28-2002, 09:32 PM
Many thanks for the tip. I am taking it in soon for a tranny flush and will have them look at it. I still am under the extended warranty but it will go out soon.

Thanks!

Old 04-29-2002, 01:30 PM
It's easy to remove the IAC(tomato-paste can look-a-like) and take some brake or carb. cleaner and flush it out good. They get carboned up and sticky or worn. If it's just sticky, the cleaner may work. Easy to replace too..............

Dan

Quick Reply: Help...will not hold idle...