Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2002, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Check Engine Light

Hey guys, just been reading all the great thing the newer trucks are able to do. I have a 1997 FORD F150 with 117,000 milese which the check engine light just came on. What does this mean. Then engine is running fine. No idel problems, I've installed a MAC cool air intake with a Gibson exhaust system. Is there a way to find out why the check engine light is on now without going back to the dealer.
Is this a serious problem. Can it be correct easily. Will the disconnect battery turn the lights off and on after waiting work on my first generation stud.
Thanks for all of your help

Old 04-23-2002, 04:36 PM
baronc-

The CE light indicates a problem; it can indicate many. This problem stores a code which is retrieved with a scanning tool. Until you know the codes, opinions are generally guesswork unless the problem is obvious. Dealers, garages, and parts stores have scanners. Recently, a member posted that Auto Zone will now scan the codes for you as well. Good Luck !!

Old 04-23-2002, 04:52 PM
Thumbs up

Max, thanks for the tip, I will try the AutoZone for the code check. Do you know how much the devise cost to detect the code? Thanks again. Still checking.

Old 04-23-2002, 04:59 PM
baronc-

You're very welcome !! The cheaper scanners start at about $170. A few have posted slightly lower prices. A garage will probably charge $75 or so just to read them.

Old 04-23-2002, 08:03 PM
check light

97 w/117,000+ my bet would be that it came on after the exhaust mod. and you,ve never had those three 85.00 ea. oxy. sensors changed out yet and the increased flow and heat was the death bell for one or all. scan will confirm but thats one of those parts you save up for(like buy one and a couple of months later you buy another and so on and then you put them all on together) changing one will affect the over all reading because the computer compairs the first two together and then reads the last after the pipes join to confirm its own math. if it gets a "f" in math the light comes on.goodluck( p. s. tech tip; after 65k you,d better start to save up for those babies cause sooner or later they will go and you can bet the curve that way)

Old 04-24-2002, 12:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My bet is that is the code for low EGR flow. The passage thru the throttle bodies EGR passages on the 4.6 and 5.4 tend to get pluged with carbon. My light goes on and off. I need to fix it soon. You need the EGR and the gasket that goes under the throttle body elbow. Low EGR flow seems to be the most common code thrown on 4.6's. My neighbors 98 F-150 just failed its' emission test because of this code being in his computer. In Indiana they pull the codes out of the computer on 96 and newer vehicles before they do the actual test. If there are any codes they will not test the car on the dyno. You are failed and you have to get the car fixed and retested.

O2's do go bad on occasion, but mine are original after 225,000 miles except for the right rear which had a problem with the internal heater at 215,000 miles.

Old 04-24-2002, 08:21 AM
Wink

Well went out last evening and purchased the Actron scanner which works well. The cost was $199. I figure with all of the cars in my family I'll need again. The scanner indicated that the problem was P0442 which is the Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak). This is a small carbon canister located near the gas tank. I'll start there. Hit the reset button and that anoying light is gone.

As far as the Exhaust system. The Exhaust system was installed 6 months after the purchase of the vehicle (1998) and have had no problems with it. Looks good and runs great. Side pipes give it that 60's look. Thanks for all of the messages and help. Keep on truckin. Keep the news and questions coming. That's how we stay alive.

Old 04-24-2002, 07:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It could be as simple as a loose or leaking gas cap. Did you refuel the truck while it was running? Doing that can also throw the code.

Old 04-25-2002, 08:36 AM
Lightbulb

Thanks Bent6, The things that make you say hummmmmmmmmmmm. Great to hear that your 97 has so many miles and still on the road. I look forward to joining you in the near futur. Thanks for the message.

Old 04-25-2002, 08:45 AM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
baronic,
I had my codes read yesterday and got the same code as you "Evaporative emission control system leak detected" only mine was a "gross leak".
The friend who did the reading for me (a mechanic at Ford) sayed that the number one cause of these leaks is the pressurized gas cap and it should be replaced. I also got an "low EGR flow" reading which he went strait to the area between the battery and the computer and showed me a vacume leak. This is the second leak I have had in that area. Fixed the leak (spliced with a rubber vacume line) and today I'm going for a new gas cap.
Hope this helps anyone with simular problems.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light