Engine cuts out

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2002, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine cuts out

When driving down the highway my truck will all of a sudden just cut out. If I remove my foot from the gas it will idle but as soon as I put my foot back into the gas it just gags. I can then turn the ignition off and right back on and put my foot back on the gas and away I go everything is fine.
It seems to only do this within the first ten minutes of starting it from cold.
It is a F250 Superduty SC 4x4 with the 5.4L std trans.
Any suggestions or similar experiences and remedies greatly appreciated
Thanks
Kent

Old 04-20-2002, 10:14 AM
sounds like a fuel pump or regulator.

Old 04-24-2002, 08:07 AM
Anybody else

Old 04-25-2002, 02:58 AM
Sounds similar to my problem, only happens around 1500-1800 RPMs and when driving. Turned out to be a bad MAF sensor(well, supposedly, I haven't got the money to put in a new one, yet). A replacement from Ford is $166.

Old 04-25-2002, 03:04 AM
On my last big service by the dealer, they forgot to hook the MAF back up andit did the same thing. eventually my engine light came on and I found it and plugged it back in. I vote MAF

Old 04-25-2002, 04:42 AM
Clogged fuel filter maybe? Could be MAF.

Old 04-25-2002, 03:43 PM
I had the same symptoms at one time...the problem was a bad MAF...seems like somebody put silicon on the trim ring that attaches to the MAF...silicone and electrical stuff don't work out.
Then again, a clogged fuel filter could produce the same symptoms.

Old 04-25-2002, 10:11 PM
Thumbs up

Yeah I changed the fuel filter prior to posting, and I have cleaned the MAF numerous times thinking it may be oil contamination(K&N Filter). The last thing I did this past weekend was to check and retape the Superchip (2 years no problems) and since then I have not had it happen (touch wood).
Your thoughts and ideas are most appreciated and I thank you.
Kent

Old 04-25-2002, 10:53 PM
Kent,

My 5.4 SuperCrew did the same thing. After getting advice from this forum, specifically Mike Troyer from SuperChips, I pulled out the computer/chip and ever-so-carefully used a jeweler's screw driver to scrape the aluminum tabs on the computer connection (un-sandwiched the computer for full access to the tabs) and reinstalled the chip and taped it back up. I have not had any more problems during the last 10,000 miles. I

When I bought the chip and initially installed it, I thought I had the tabs shiny clean per the instructions. But after re-scraping the tabs when the problem occured, there was more protective coating that came off of the tabs and the computer board. Make sure you drag the edge-point of the screwdriver between the tabs too to assure there are no high spots that would prevent the computer "pinch" connectors from making contact with the tabs.

Good luck,
Kevin

Old 05-03-2002, 06:49 PM
In my last post I said I checked and retaped my superchip. What I did when I "CHECKED" my Superchip was to take the computer completly apart and I ran new lines of solder on both sides of the connectors. I did this because when I originally installed it over two years ago I cleaned off the connectors to the point where there was some copper showing. Anyways its been almost two weeks and it has not cut out on me yet (touch wood).

Thanks again for all those that took the time to reply.
Kent

Quick Reply: Engine cuts out