Need help on Clattering Motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2002, 12:03 PM
Banned For Violation of ***** Rules
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help on Clattering Motor

About 1000 miles ago on my 00 HD F150, it started clattering really badly, the service department put a new program in it and about 500 miles after that it was clattering really badly, I tried running 87 octane and it was so bad that i put 5 or 6 cans of octance booster in it to help it out a bit (which did) ive also noticed that if i bring my octane up to around 96-97 then i have no engine clatter.

Another bad deal is when i crawled under my truck to change my oil last night i noticed oil coming from the passenger side of the block and i though "O ****m i got a leaker" I just got off the phone with the Service Department and they said that they will change both Head gaskets and see what they can do about the clattering, the tech said that it could be a MAF sensor problem or something of that nature. I told him that i read a topic on F150online.com about after a superchip install that pinging and clattering went away....he told me that a chip might help me out and suggested it, i mentioned warranty and the service manager said no problem with a chip and warranty siad they go good together so i think im gonna order a superchip flip chip if mike troyer will hook me up.

Old 04-19-2002, 01:47 PM
Some 5.4s are starting to leak past the head gasket on the right bank--at the rear. Ford will replace the gasket.

I would not try and 'repair' a detonation(at least that's what it sounds like from your post) problem with an aftermarket chip. That's asking for trouble--more than you may have now. I'll bet Mike won't either but I'll also bet that he will try and help you identify the cause of your eng. noise---and then sell you a chip .

I'd suspect carbon build-up in the combustion chambers; in effect, giving you a higher compression ratio than your HD was set up for. Your dealer can run a MotorVac(Not sure of the name) cleaning process thru your eng. Also might be a carboned up EGR valve or very worn spark plugs???

Dan

Old 04-19-2002, 02:26 PM
Banned For Violation of ***** Rules
well i have 21k miles on it so im not suspecting spark plugs.

Old 04-19-2002, 04:32 PM
are you running a K&N or similiar which uses the oil once you wash the airfilter to "recharge" it? If so, your MAF may be very dirty and need a good cleaning.

Old 04-20-2002, 01:01 AM
Location: the great stinkin' desert national monument and nuclear waste dump
Thumbs up

I just today had "valve train noise" fixed on effie with a 5.4. Turns out there is an part update to the serpentine belt and tensioner that fixes this problem. Some here reported a similar problem they thought was piston slap.

--karl

Quick Reply: Need help on Clattering Motor