New FQR Installed - Report

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2001, 01:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post New FQR Installed - Report

Hi All,

As promised, following is an update on my 5.4L FQR installation.

Background: 1999 F-150 5.4L 4x4, engine build date 8/15/98, slap diagnosed December 2000.

Friday 1/12/01, I picked up the truck and inspected the engine compartment and listened to the engine prior to signing any warranty papers. The engine compartment had been steam cleaned and looked great. It is difficult to spot any clue that the motor had been swapped. The only hint you can find, is that a little paint on the hood bolts is missing. This was a very clean installation. Most of all, I am pleased to report that my fear of winding up with a weak motor didn't happen. I have no concerns after 400 miles. The motor is just as strong as the original and best of all doesn't make any of the slapping sound on cold startup. The total warranty cost to Ford was $3,555, plus rental car for four days. The dealer, Heller Ford, in Escondido, CA did a phenomenal job overall. I am very pleased with the results. Long term, I hope the slap doesn't develop in this motor. However, for now, it runs strong and starts quiet.

Good luck to others who receive these engines.

If you have any questions or comments, add a post to this thread and I will check back in a few days.

DirkR

1999 F-150 5.4 4x4 S/C

Old 01-18-2001, 09:05 AM
>>DirkR<< I will be picking up my truck most likely tonight with the new FQR, I hope my luck is as good as yours.
I just have a question, did you happen to notice the manufacture date of your FQR?

Old 01-18-2001, 07:53 PM
I was just diagnosed with the slap, engine build date 9/99. I have no other problems with the engine. Obviously they want to install a remanufactured motor but I am concerned about getting someone else's problem (slapper). Should I do it? How do they get rid of slapping in a remanufactured motor?

Good luck with your new/old motor.

Old 01-18-2001, 11:56 PM
Hi Cold Expy,

The FQR engines do not have a date code sticker as you will soon find out. However, I have contacted my service advisor at Heller to see if he can determine a date. Stay tuned.

To Moonpa,

I spoke with the tech who diagnosed (and changed) my motor. I told him that I really wanted a new motor rather than an FQR, but that the service writer was only authorized to purchase an FQR. He told me that in one case, he changed a customer's engine THREE times. The first two motors were new (off the assembly line) and the third, which worked properly in all respects, was an FQR. He said he prefers the FQR motors because they are built by hand, and that each piston is sized in the cylinder for proper clearance. He said the new engines get eight pistons and clearance is not measured (assumed to be within specifications).

I do wish I knew more about who rebuilds these engines, when it was rebuilt, and where the parts come from, but this being my second FQR in as many trucks, I have not been disappointed yet.

DirkR