Problems With My 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2002, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Problems With My 4.6

HAS ANYONE HAD PROBLEMS WITH THERE 4.6? I HAVE A 2001 F-150 WITH A 4.6 WITH ONLY 6500 MILES AND SO FAR I HAVE HAD A LEAKY HEAD GASKET,WARPED HEAD, AND NOW HAVE A WARPED EXHAUST MANIFOLD ALL ON THE RIGHT SIDE!! THIS IS MY FIRST FORD TRUCK AND DON'T THINK THIS IS NORMAL! ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!

Old 04-02-2002, 06:46 PM
... really wish you'd find the caps lock hey there. I've got a brand new F150 4.6, no problems so far, I've put on over 800 miles in three weeks so far with no problems at all. I would think that the problems you're having are not normal. It is commonly said that with Ford's, you roll the dice. Sometimes you get a good one, and sometimes you get a crappy one.

On a different note, what kind of gas milage are you getting? First tank after the dealer was about 15.6 mpg, and now I'm estimating with mostly freeway speeds I'm getting 19. Pretty good for a nice big heavy truck.

Old 04-02-2002, 06:58 PM
sorry about the caps! Its lifted 3" with 33" tires on it so my gas mileage has been 12 from sept to present doesn't matter whether i'm in town or on the highway. stays at 12 even when i pulling my trailer with my quads. guess i got a bad one.

Old 04-02-2002, 09:12 PM
Welcome to the boards!

First off, what does the dealership have to say about all of this? This stuff is not normal at all. I have heard of a few 4.6's with head gaskets leaking. I have not heard about the other stuff though. If your truck is in that bad of shape you might want to see if you can get Ford to buy it back.
I have a '98 with the 4.6. I have almost 30k, with no problems at all. I have done a few mods and still everything works just like it should. Is there anything that you did to the truck that might contribute to the problems?
Ford makes a ton of these trucks every year. Of course there will be problems with some of them. This is the same with all the auto makers, and every one manufacturing everything.
If you got a lemon you do have recourse.
Talk to the dealership.

Good luck!
Tom

Old 04-02-2002, 10:57 PM
I have a 2002 screw 4.6 with 5k on it. I started early with the mobil1 . the engine runs well.

Old 04-03-2002, 12:15 AM
Sorry to hear about your engine. We had the same problem with our 4.6L. Leaking head gasket at 10000 miles, FORD replaced it 5 weeks ago. Here is a link to my original thread.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...threadid=66776

Ask for a new motor and good luck!!

2001 Screw 4X4 XLT
4.6L
Skids
Bright Red
6-disk CD Changer
Sliding Rear Window
9" ac/dc TV/VCR for trips
Westin Nerf Bars
Lund Bug Shield
Spray in Liner
Snugtop XTR Topper

Ordered 6 Dec 00
Born 8 Jan 2001
Got from Dealer 22 Jan 2001

Old 04-03-2002, 08:31 AM
tdk
I have a 97 F150 4.6 with 115,000 miles on it. I run Amsoil and it uses about a half a quart to 3000 miles. It gets used hard, a lot of highway miles but with a 3000 lbs trailer behind it. Mileage will run from 11.5 to 15 pulling. The wind will really make a difference. When we pull a enclosed motocross trailer it'll drop to about 10.5. The trailer is 7 ft wide and 6 1/2 ft tall. Alot of wind resistence. Even with all that no engine problems. All I done so far is to replace the rear end bearings, 90,000 miles.

Old 04-03-2002, 11:45 AM
hey everyone thanks for the input! I've talked with the dealer and they see it as if everything has been fixed what's the problem! I've talked to ford directly and they see it the same way! I have no clue what to do. I was told maybe try and take it to another dealer and see what there willing to do for me. I've had numerous problems with this dealer. Everytime I take it in when I get it back something else is wrong. But Ford recommends I stay with that dealer. But I think its time to dump them! Hopefully I can get this all resolved soon! Thanks again!

Old 04-03-2002, 11:55 AM
Hey ts_toy!

So Ford authorized for the dealer to put in the new motor. I need to get them to do that! Instead of just replacing all the warped parts! Did you have to fight to get that? And as far as you problems with the dealer its sounds like we go to the same dealer. When they did the head they took off the wheels and tires so they could lower it all they way to the ground, When they put them back on the lugs on the right rear were loose so on christmas day I was driving home and lost the tire and wheel off the truck! Blew the tire and screwed up the wheel! $620 I was out the dealer finally agreed to pay half. Then 4wheel parts gave me another tire for free. ($330) Then The dealer had 4 wheel parts install a lift 3" but it wasn't high enough for the 33" tires So now 4wheel parts is giving me whatever I want and will back charge the dealer! That will teach them!

Old 04-03-2002, 06:50 PM
josh3338, Thank you for figuring out the caps thing. I appreciate it too.

I'm great at guesses, so I'm going to guess here too. I think your real problem is your dealer. I have no doubt that your truck really had a head gasket leak. It is a known and reported problem with this engine. A few engines out of a great many seem to have it and you got one.

But I think that the dealer caused the rest of the problems while they were working on your truck. If these guys can't even put on a set of wheels, I imagine it is nearly impossible for them to take apart am portion of your engine and get it back together right. I think the big clue here (other than your truck falling apart as you drive) is that all the problems are on the same parts of the truck the dealer touched.

Get what that dealer owes you from them and get the heck out of there. You have given them more than one chance and they keep messin it up.

Once you find a good mechanic and service writer (and it can be very hard) hook them up whenever you can. Buy them lunch, bring in bagels or doughnuts if you have an earily appointment. It sounds like you are paying to get work done that should be free, but if they watch out for you it will save you tons of time and frustration. Way more than the $20 or $30 you'll spend. Especially if you have bought a truck with lots of troubles.

Now if I could only find a dealerthat did good work ...

Old 04-03-2002, 11:15 PM
When it came to the dealer fixing our engine, all they did was to put in a special dye in the oil and we drove it for the weekend. On monday they looked at the engine with a blacklight to see where the oil was coming from. Passenger side rear of head. They contacted the ford gods and gave them the information. The gods said to swap the engine with a new one direct from the assembly line. They ordered the engine the same day. Had it a week later. 2 days for install and it was back to us. I got lucky on this one. I was expecting for them to say, OH, we will replace the gasket, not swap out the motor. Maybe there is hope for them. Good luck again with yours.

2001 Screw 4X4 XLT
4.6L
Skids
Bright Red
6-disk CD Changer
Sliding Rear Window
9" ac/dc TV/VCR for trips
Westin Nerf Bars
Lund Bug Shield
Spray in Liner
Snugtop XTR Topper

Ordered 6 Dec 00
Born 8 Jan 2001
Got from Dealer 22 Jan 2001

Old 04-04-2002, 01:24 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So far my 2000 4.6 has been great it almost has 47,000 miles on it and it still runs like new.

Old 04-04-2002, 07:44 AM
My 98 4.6 has 54,000 miles and no problems...has never had one problem since I've owned it. I am extremely pleased with this truck. I keep thinking about trading it in for a new one but for what? The fit and finish on this 98 is like new and has not given me one problem and I do drive it hard.

Old 04-04-2002, 05:33 PM
My 97 4.6 has 111k miles. Only routine maintenance, brake pads, turned rotors once, replaced two light bulbs. That's it Runs like new, even with original plugs and wires.

Old 04-04-2002, 10:36 PM
Yes the 4.6 has the same gasket problem as the 5.4. My 99 with 35,000 miles is going in the shop Monday to get them replaced.

Check out this other string.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...5&pagenumber=1

I haven't heard of the other problems though. Sounds like most of your other problems are being caused by a bad mechanic. Find another dealer ot tell them to replace the whole motor!

Jim

Quick Reply: Problems With My 4.6