Problems With My 4.6

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2002, 05:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
same problems

I just experienced the same problem although it was a bit too late for my engine. I have a 1997 150. I Had the head gasket replaced due to a leak of antifreeze and within a week of the replacement, the engine started making a loud noice, lost oil pressure and started smoking. Had to tow the truck and it was later determined that the engine had suffered severe damage from the antifreeze leaking into the oil, which broke the crank shaft thereby requiring a new engine. There was a recall for this SAME EXACT problem, however Ford claims that my vehicle is not included in this recall. Good luck to you. My battle is still being fought.

Old 05-09-2002, 02:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my truck just went to a dealership this week, was having a 'hesitation' around 1100 rpms, and the truck was spotting oil on the driveway. in hind site i had noticed a drop in gas mileage which i thought could have been attributed to the 'winter gas' which i have heard some people say was no longer being used. i am guessing now that it is tied to this problem. the oil was not much, i do my own changes and was always afraid to over tighten the plug so i thought that could have been a contributing factor.

they called me back and said i was leaking from the head gasket.
i now have 50,000 miles so am out of warranty, but when i spoke to them i was aware of the tsb, and discussed this with them.

i also called ford and spoke to them as well.

the truck is now sitting at the shop with the motor pulled. they are going to assess the damage and then we will discuss how this is going to be handled. i dont feel i should absorb the whole brunt of this as they are already aware of this being a problem (tsb).

the cost just to have the gasket replaced would have been roughly 1500.00. i am really curious to see if ford steps up to the plate here and takes some responsiblity for a problem they had at the factory. i do have the 4.6 romeo (1999)motor as well.

the dealership has been very good so far and i hope things stay this way.

keeping everything that i can crossed.

Quick Reply: Problems With My 4.6