Diagnosing electrical problem without check engine light - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2002, 12:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Diagnosing electrical problem without check engine light - HELP

I was diving down the road and the engine just completely died. No hesitation, no sputtering, just died! I pulled over and tried to start it again. The engine won't start at all. Not even the slightest jump. It will turn over till I am blue in the face but will not start, so I know it is not the starter or a batteriy problem. Then I opened the hood and could smell gas fumes. So that makes me think that the fuel pump and fuel regulator are fine. It seems to me that its not getting any spark or fire to the cylinders. And no check engine light came on or is on currently. Therefore, I can not run my scanner on it to pull codes. This leaves me with back tracking with a voltmeter.

Has anyone ever had this problem? What in the world could this be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

P.S. I checked all the plugs to see if any came off while driving and everything is fine.

Old 03-27-2002, 01:02 PM
Hmmmm

If you have an aftermarket chip, it has a 'bad' connection. If you don't have a chip, I would disconnect the negative, battery cable, turn the headlight's switch 'on', wait for 5 minutes, and then, turn the h/l sw. off before you reconnect the battery cable. This will allow the computer to 'start over' from 'zero'----may help/fix??--certainly won't hurt.

Dan

Old 03-27-2002, 01:35 PM
LIGHTNINROD is right with the chip deal. I have a chip in mine and just the other day i was pulling out of the grocery store onto the road and it just shut off. If it is that then the odometer readout would just show dashes across(-----;if of course it has a digital odometer). Don't really know if its not that though.

justin

Old 03-29-2002, 10:07 PM
Figured out the problem, it turned out to be the ignition coil attached to the distributor. It only cost me $30.

Quick Reply: Diagnosing electrical problem without check engine light - HELP