OK, i'm new in here, can you all give me some tips & tricks for a little more HP???

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2000, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question OK, i'm new in here, can you all give me some tips & tricks for a little more HP???

I have a 96 F150 with the Big 6 in it 4.9 what can i do to get a few more ponies???
This is what i have done so far;
removed converters, add electric fan, high flow exhaust, bypassed smog pump, that all, what else can i do???

Old 12-20-2000, 02:41 PM
Talking

K & N air filter, chip (if they make one for your truck), NOS , Saleen Motor swap might do the trick...haha.

------------------
2000 Ford F-150 Extended Cab Flareside 4x4 Lariat
5.4L;auto;3.55LS;Black/Silver;ORP;remote keyless;floor-shift 4wd;Class 3
Mods so far:
Lund X-Terminator bug shield; Vent Shade Vent Visors; GTS headlight blackouts; Westin Black nerf bars; Pendaliner bedliner; Genuine Steel Products (Longtek Engineering) black Grille/Brush Guard; GTS Tail Blazer II Slotted taillight covers; Clear corner lenses; under hitch backup lights (for now); 2 KC Hilites Daylighter 6" 150W black round off-road lights; Crank torsion bars to level truck; Change gold 4x4 stickers to silver
Pending
2 Polk Audio EX10 10" subs under rear seat; Get Your custom box now!
Wish list:
Some more lights; Flowmaster 40 Series single to dual exhaust w/ 18" SS tips out back; Change factory striping to silver & black; Optima red top battery; Viper alarm w/ remote start; New house.

Please Visit My Web Site (Updated Daily) and Sign My Guest Book
or e-mail me lariat4wd@yahoo.com

Old 12-20-2000, 03:23 PM
Smile

Before the HP thing, welcome to the boards and enjoy the ride.

------------------
My Ride: 1998 F150 4x4 Lariat Supercab Flareside 5.4L in Oxford White/gold, ORP, Tow Package, 3.55 Gears.

Modifications:
K&N FIPK
Gibson Supertruck Exhaust System
Stepshield door sill protectors
Performance Accesories 3" Body Lift
Superlift 3" lift blocks
Performance Lift Lips
Gabriel Gas Ryder LT VST Shocks
Daystar Front Anti-sway Bar Polyurethane Bushings
Heckethorn Steering Stabilizer
35x12.5R16.5LT BFG All Terrain KO's
16.5x9.75 American Eagle 589's.

Photos at: http://www.communicomgroup.com/jmtruck

Old 12-22-2000, 11:09 PM
Banned
the easiest thing to do is to trade it for an SVT. Just dont get the Focus or Contour

------------------
'97 F-150 XLT Clearcoat Red
4x2
17 inch Wheels
Stepside, K&N, bedliner
32inch tires,flowmaster,
tint, matching ford sticker
5spd fully loaded, hidden hitch
new spark plugs

Old 12-23-2000, 11:38 AM
that is about it. I know you can buy a header for that engine.

Otherwise swap out the engine. The I6 is made for torque, no HP

Old 12-23-2000, 09:27 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

I have the 4.9 also in my 1990 XLT short bed w/handling package, 5 speed, etc. If you have an automatic, the chip is worth the $, if it's a stick, don't bother. For the same $, you can get more hp elsewhere. Here's the mods I recommend...

1. Drop the stock muffler, run tailpipes straight from the cats out the sides or back (I ran twins on mine). The stock muffler is very restrictive but the rest of the exhaust system (except for the exhaust manifold) is designed for the 460 cid...so there is more than ample flow available. The cats absorb about 70% of the sound so a muffler of any type is just not required. Very mellow, mildly deep tone with a little rumble when you step on the gas....heavy gauge tailpipes eliminate all drone from the cab.

2. Open up the air cleaner intake. The hose is quite big enough, just open up the intake opening at the grill, place a deflector in front to keep objects (like large bugs) from entering & DON'T USE A K&N FILTER!!! Mega problems with the hot wire in the mass airflow sensor caused by oil contamination. I use it in my 1990 but no hot wire there. Tried them in every vehicle I own that has a hot wire in it, after about 2-3 years, oil contamination damaged the hot wire..had to replace. Wix paper filters flow more air smoother than the K&N in several lab tests and filter just as well for street use.

If you run the freewas regularly, smaller pulleis are worth it...but this also runs the altenator slower & can create charging system/drivablility problems if you do a lot of city driving.

The 4.9's came typically with 3.55 gears, if it's a stick, that's too low for the amount of torque that engine has (unless you do heavy towing), taller gears (around 3.00) actually increase acceloration (taller tires will accomplish the same, provided you don't get wide!).

Use high octane fuel, the ECM will recognize it and that will help it run better too.

There is a lot more you can do, but it takes some time & $. These are the basics that I have found worked for me (of course I have a distributor so I can advance my ignition timing myself).

Jeff

------------------
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II

Quick Reply: OK, i'm new in here, can you all give me some tips & tricks for a little more HP???