Trouble starting my 5.4 Liter F150

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2000, 11:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Trouble starting my 5.4 Liter F150

Why is it when I go to start my 2000 F150 5.4 Liter Lariat it will keep turning but will not start? I have to give it some gas to start it every now and then. It happened to my parent's Expedition and the dealer said to let the engine sit before starting it, as if it was a deisel, but that does not work all the time for my truck I need to give iot some gas to start it. Do I take it into the shop or is there a way to start the truck right? Thank you, Justen

Old 10-15-2000, 04:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take it in and get it looked at. I have had two 2000 model 5.4Ls and have never experienced this problem. If your dealer does not seem to be helpful, try another. There could be several possibilities causing this..but you should have it looked at.

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Superchip, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55 rear, class III towing package with super engine cooling/Auxilary transmission cooling HD package, Heavy duty shocks, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, factory leather wrapped steering wheel, FORD bedliner, FORD black tubular cab steps, K&N air filter, mar-hyde rubberized undercoating, Modine climate filtration system, Bugflector II, Mobil 1 oil and filter

Old 10-15-2000, 09:33 PM
Cool

Justen: Welcome to the site. No, this is not normal for me or any similar truck I've been in. This problem needs experienced diagnosis; fuel system, ignition, etc. Being under warranty, I would just take it in.

------------------
2000 F-150 XL,RC,LB,5.4,4R70W,3.55LS,
Class III tow/Payload #3/Convenience pkgs.,
4-wheel disc/ABS,Chestnut/Parchment 40/60,
Ford bedliner & gas/wheel/spare locks,
3" cold air box modification, Superchip,
Dynomax ultra-flow welded 3" cat-back,
3" exit Y-pipe, Hellwig rear anti-sway bar,
Rancho RS9000s.

Old 10-16-2000, 07:38 AM
If you're running high octane gas, try a lower octane. Otherwise take it in, it should start and run with out using the gas pedal.

Old 10-17-2000, 12:35 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A shot inthe dark, but I'm guessing that the check valve in the fuel sending unit is bad... by waiting, you're allowing the fuel pump to repressurize the system. This should not be necessary if the check valve is working correctly. Take it to the dealer (especially if it's still under warranty!). What you describe is NOT normal and should be fixable. Keep us posted.
-Joe-

------------------
98 Explorer (Lemon Law Case in Progress)
Deposit on '00 F-150, X-cab, 4x4, Lariat, Off-road, Trailer Tow, Sunroof, currently missing the fuel filler door, but they're working on that..

Quick Reply: Trouble starting my 5.4 Liter F150