Outran a 6.0 Liter Chevy

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2000, 10:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
funkster-
Try checking the voltage on the Throttle-body position sensor. It should be around .98 volts at start. From there, the voltage should change smoothly as the accelerator is pressed.

Old 09-24-2000, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

I would like to know, all you guys who are having problems frying your tires, are your trucks all automatics? Because I have a 98 F-150 4x4 ORP with a 5sp (4.6 liter) and I can burn them forever. I understand that I can just drop the clutch, so there is no reason that your 5speeds shouldn't be able to smoke them nicely. I understand the frustration with an auto.

As far as the Chevy being able to roast them, that is just an example of more power and torque. The 5.3 liter (327 cu.in.) Chevy just out powers our Fords. The Chevy has 285hp and 325lbs of torque. The Ford 5.4 has only 260hp and 305lbs of torque and the 4.6 only has 220hp and 290lbs of torque. My uncle has a 2000 Chevy Z71 with the 5.3 and the optional gearing, his is an auto and it can just turn the tires with ease (and I mean lots of smoke).

Old 09-24-2000, 06:05 PM
No Mr. Jumper a 5.4 Ford has 345tq from the factory and that is @ 2300 rpm the problem with the lack of tire smoking action is probably the Chovies have a 373:1 rear end. Ford also makes a better rear end that Chovy. Ford limited slip actually work thats why you have less tire spin but that is what limited slips are for.

Old 09-24-2000, 06:57 PM
Question

I was actually wondering how many of the above noted posters had a LS rear end. I'm sure that trying to make the tires spin when the vehicle is engineered not to, could make things more difficult.

Old 09-24-2000, 07:16 PM
Stewdog, Those are just the figures that I found on the internet. They seem accurate and those numbers are pretty consistant with other sites as well. However, I am not possitive that they are correct, I am not going to argue over them. The bottom line is Chevy just makes a more powerful truck from the factory. I am a Ford fan and believe that with minimal aftermarket work our trucks could put a hurtin' on the competition. Stock against stock, we just don't have it.

As far as the limited slip idea goes, LS is pretty much LS. It doesn't really matter if it is Ford or Chevy. There are very few differences. An F-150 is no more designed to keep traction than a sports car such as a Mustang or a Z28. If you notice both of those cars can roast the tires at will. Limited slip is a great tool, but not an efficient excuse.

Old 09-25-2000, 03:45 AM
I agree with stump jumper,anyone with a 5spd should be able to burn em up.My last truck(98 f150 xl) could fry em like crazy and only had the v-6.Even a chirp into second.It is harder to chirp my tires in my current truck(2000 f150 4x4 sport v-6 5spd),,but it will do it.Also can get a really small chirp into 2nd.

------------------
-----------------------
2000 f150 4x4 sport,black, 3.55 5spd ,4.2 liters of fury ------mods----pioneer cd,alpine sub,cadence ultradrive amps,alpine mids&tweets,Delta tool box,class III reciever hitch,herculiner bed liner,taz floor mats,profile bug guard,custom painted tail light covers,headlight covers,cranked torsion bars,pirelli scorpion at(265/75 16), modified air box(crash1 style),JET air filter

www.lightningcrashz@hotmail.com

Old 09-25-2000, 11:39 AM
I'm looking at WARDS "10 best engines" for year 2000. 5.4 is on it again, 260hp w/350 ft.lbs. torque.

Old 09-25-2000, 05:15 PM
Well, for the record, I don't have a LS diff. Just a slow truck.

A couple people mentioned that older versions of their engins could spin the tires. Maybe
it's a by-product of the horsepower increase. Maybe there was a transmission change....

------------------

Old 09-25-2000, 05:18 PM
Unhappy

Ok, can anybody tell me how to set my profile signature?

Thanks.

Old 09-25-2000, 07:39 PM
I drive a '00 2wd supercab 4.6 5speed 3.55 with just a K&N and a WMS flow tube.I can chirp the tires in second and third everytime.I have heard that the 5speed 4.6 are quire a bit faster than a 5.4 auto.Anyone with do a comparo??

Old 09-25-2000, 07:40 PM
Smile

I drive a '00 2wd supercab 4.6 5speed 3.55 with just a K&N and a WMS flow tube.I can chirp the tires in second and third everytime.I have heard that the 5speed 4.6 are quire a bit faster than a 5.4 auto.Anyone do a comparo??

Old 09-25-2000, 07:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

HI!... Well I don't know what you guys are talking about, I don't seem to have any problems spinning the tires!LOL!

Check out ATST's MICHIGAN AREA SITE. There you will see what I'm talking about!LOL!

------------------
NEAL [ the horsepower freak ] NEWMAN
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, ***** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), fiberglass smooth wiper cowl (painted OXFORD WHITE), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, 3 AUTOMETER guage pods, filled with tranny temp, engine temp, and oil preasure AUTOMETER "PHANTOM" guages,custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, custom programed SUPERCHIP, modified POWERAID spacer, BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit (on stage 5 setting)BYPASS CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE/PREASURE REGULATOR VALVE, ASP POWER PULLEYS, custom tig welded and ported JBA "JET BLACK coated headers, twin DERALE 16 INCH ELECTRIC FANS, PERMA COOL 14"/10" tranny cooler with 10" electric fan.

FUTURE MODS : FORD SVT 24LB INJECTORS, BBK 75MM THROTTLE BODY, AADI F1 RAM AIR HOOD, traction bars, and a KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA supercharger.

ESTIMATED H.P TO DATE : 345H.P / 425ft/lbs of torque.

OTHER TOYS : "83" PRO STREET FORD RANGER : 351-w stroked to 408c.i 625H.P (natural), 875H.P with 250H.P "BIG SHOT" N.O.S kit, tubbed (crome moly tubing), 12 point chrome moly roll cage, 4-link with coil overs, MUSTANG II front suspension, c-4 tranny (race prepped), 4000rpm stall converter(8 INCH), 3" chrome moly driveshaft,AUTOMETER guages, 15.50 MICKEY THOMPSON rear tires, 4" M/T front tires, CENTERLINE CON-VO PRO rims, fiberglass hood - bumper - prostock hood scoop, wishbone trac-link, two chrome moly driveshaft loops, 16 gallon RCI fuel cell,etc

Old 09-25-2000, 07:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

HI!... Well for those of you that don't know about her site here it is. The pics that come up on the sceen are me!LOL Also check out page "2" of my "BEING ABLE TO SPIN THE TIRES" well just a little!LOL!
http://www.fortunecity.com/silversto...ers/freak.html

------------------
NEAL [ the horsepower freak ] NEWMAN
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, ***** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), fiberglass smooth wiper cowl (painted OXFORD WHITE), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, 3 AUTOMETER guage pods, filled with tranny temp, engine temp, and oil preasure AUTOMETER "PHANTOM" guages,custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, custom programed SUPERCHIP, modified POWERAID spacer, BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit (on stage 5 setting)BYPASS CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE/PREASURE REGULATOR VALVE, ASP POWER PULLEYS, custom tig welded and ported JBA "JET BLACK coated headers, twin DERALE 16 INCH ELECTRIC FANS, PERMA COOL 14"/10" tranny cooler with 10" electric fan.

FUTURE MODS : FORD SVT 24LB INJECTORS, BBK 75MM THROTTLE BODY, AADI F1 RAM AIR HOOD, traction bars, and a KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA supercharger.

ESTIMATED H.P TO DATE : 345H.P / 425ft/lbs of torque.

OTHER TOYS : "83" PRO STREET FORD RANGER : 351-w stroked to 408c.i 625H.P (natural), 875H.P with 250H.P "BIG SHOT" N.O.S kit, tubbed (crome moly tubing), 12 point chrome moly roll cage, 4-link with coil overs, MUSTANG II front suspension, c-4 tranny (race prepped), 4000rpm stall converter(8 INCH), 3" chrome moly driveshaft,AUTOMETER guages, 15.50 MICKEY THOMPSON rear tires, 4" M/T front tires, CENTERLINE CON-VO PRO rims, fiberglass hood - bumper - prostock hood scoop, wishbone trac-link, two chrome moly driveshaft loops, 16 gallon RCI fuel cell,etc

Quick Reply: Outran a 6.0 Liter Chevy