Header Exhaust Leak, I Think, Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2000, 11:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Header Exhaust Leak, I Think, Need Help

Not sure about best place to post this, Expy group has no technical questions, so I thought I might get better response here. I have JBA shorty headers on a 97 5.4L Expedition At idle, or when racing engine in Park, everything sounds fine. When I have the truck in drive and the engine is under load, especially when in overdrive, and you give the truck gas, but not enough to force a downshift, I get this exhaust sounding tick, tick, tick ... coming from the left side of the engine. I have taken it to 3 shops:

Shop 1 (Speed shop that installed the headers 3 months ago) We don't here anything while it is up on the lift and we think it's the cats. They didn't here anything because the truck has to be under acceleration to here this.

Shop 2 (Ford Dealer) We think it is either the header gasket or the egr connection on the headers that is leaking, but we won't work on it.

Shop 3 (Independent Mechanic) We here no exhaust leaks and we think it is a pre-detonation problem because you have a blower. The blower was installed by Shop 1, at the same time as the headers, 3 months ago. It has never made this sound until 3 weeks ago.

I can't find anyone to work on this due to the performance additions I have. I've been told that since this noise is not detectable unless under acceleration load when it is driven, that this is not a header leak. The only thing I can think of is to take the header off, put the stock manifold back on, and see if the problem goes away. Any idea or help would be really appreciated at this point.

Expy Setup
97 4x4 5.4L
Vortec Supercharger
JBA Headers
Gibson Catback
Superchip

Old 09-16-2000, 11:29 PM
Basshawg,

I had the same problems with my '94 Chevy K1500 with a B&M supercharger and JBA headers as well. The cheap paper gaskets that came with the JBA's blew out after two months. And I didn't notice it until it got very cold outside and saw the exhaust steam coming out between the 1 & 3 cylinder. I got the Felpro gaskets and never had the problem again.

As for the tick, tick sound. Check your header to "Y' pipe connection. Mine "ticked" pretty loud after one of the bolts broke. I replaced all of them with some stainless grade 5 nuts and bolts, and eliminated the tick sound. So I definitely check the flange at the header & "Y" pipe and retighten those bolts.

If those ideas don't work. Try getting a boost gauge. It's a very good diagnostic tool. It can tell you wonders. Good luck.

Previous truck:
1994 Chevy K1500 4x4
350 V8, 3.73LS, 4L60E trans.
B&M Supercharger, JBA Headers, K&N, Powertube, 100% MSD ignition, CompCams, Flowmaster 50 series, Jet Chip, B&M ShiftPlus, TurboCity Throttle Body, and a ton of other crap.

------------------
1999 F250 LD S/C XLT 4x4
5.4L, 3.73, 4R100 trans.
Flowmaster 40 "DF" series, K&N, Superchip, WMS Velocity Tube, Rancho RSX shocks, Stull billet grille, 2-PIAA Pro80XT's (120W), 2-KC Daylighters (150W). 265/70 R17 BFG AT KO's on 17x8 American Racing Atlas rims
Kenwood 7007 CD, Alpine 3342 Signal Processor, Alpine MRV-F353 5Ch. Amp, Pioneer TS-A6865 3-way speakers, MTX Thunderforms. CompuStar alarm/autostart.

[This message has been edited by Jupiterak (edited 09-16-2000).]

Old 09-18-2000, 12:58 AM
The noise you are hearing may be just the exhaust pulses resonating in the stainless tubes. Fuel injectors also make a ticking noise. It may be a leak but it also could be the thin-wall design of the headers allowing more engine/valve noise to resonate in the cabin. I experianced the same noise with my headers until I wrapped them...No more noise.

------------------
97 expedition 4x4-3.73LS 5.4 leather cd changer husky floormats 17" eagle alloys-Painted "starboard" running boards-Custom Wet Okole seat covers with "Expedition" logos-egr painted fender flares-Painted ventvisors-Bug deflector- 5% window tint-Chrome warn brushgaurd with xd9000i winch-Ion driving lights-Piaa 520 Series Crystal Ion coated Driving lights-KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA SUPERCHARGER-Dual 4" chrome tips with dynomax superturbo muffler-Jba headers-3x10 inch Mtx blue thunder subs-1x12 inch mtx blue thunder sub-Rockford fosgate 1100 watt amp-2 Alpine 500 watt amps-Panasonic day/night reciever-4 polk 5x7 speakers-2 pioneer truck box speakers-3 12 inch neon blue tubes under all seats...

Old 09-18-2000, 10:09 AM
Basshawg,
My headers make the same noise when their cold. Once they warm up it usually quiets down.
I have found that the leak is coming from the collectors. I have high grade stainless bolts with lock washers and lock nuts in an attempt to keep them tight. It's not working.
When and if I find a fix I'll post it.

------------------
2000 XLT supercab, 4x4 7700lb. package, 5.4L, 3.73 LS,skids,CD changer,MagnaCharger, Flowmaster,Superchip, Airaid, Gibson Headers, Island Blue

Quick Reply: Header Exhaust Leak, I Think, Need Help