Again with the oil questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2000, 12:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Again with the oil questions.

O.K. I don’t want to start any flaming or arguments between what people use for oil. I've read most all the posts about synthetics vs. conventional oils, have done some extensive investigating and have printed out many data sheets. Test data on wear can be made to make nearly any oil look like it is very good it seems. Does all the companies use a standard wear test that is impartial no matter what brand it is. By the looks at the data "Oil Man" put up about LE it shows that its oil seems to be the best, but in that test I didn’t see Amsoil tested. And on Amsoil's bottle I don’t see Mobil 1 or LE tested. I guess bottom line is if there were an order to which oil is the "best" ( for lack of a better word ) what would it be.

For an example:
1. LE
2. Amsoil
3. Mobil 1
4. ……..

Again this is not to start anything, just a persons question. I figure no question is dumb unless you don’t ask it. Thanks for your replies in advance.

------------------
1999 F150 S.Cab 4x4
Northland Edition,5.4
Off road pkg. Fleetside
Black w/grey int.

[This message has been edited by Bob's F150 (edited 09-09-2000).]

Old 09-09-2000, 01:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

Mobil 1 comes as the oem factory oil in
very high dollar european vehicles,that's
good enough for me. Some are even labled to use it instead of conventional oils.
[img]file:///The%20drive/Desktop%20Folder/Untitled-1%2520copy.gif[/img]

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Westin nerfs blk powdercoat
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
Kenwood cd w/RS speakers,don't laugh it sounds pretty good
On the way/wheels,tires,air dam, etc..etc.......
doin the monochromatic boogie
on the front end.Billet grilles on order

Old 09-09-2000, 07:35 AM
Hmmmm,

'Best' really is difficult to describe as it depends on a lot of particulars that vary from person to person and from application to application.

Generally speaking, you can't go wrong with either of the oils above as they are all quality oils that are made of quality products.

Do a search on 'Oil' and you'll find a lot more information than I can post here. In addition to that, here are a few basics.

1) For extended drains: Amsoil and LE
2) For High TBN's: Amsoil and Mobil
3) For ease of purchase from the store: Mobil
4) For Higher MPG's: All Three in this order, Amsoil, Mobil, LE

You can do your homework, ask Msparks and Oil Man for some help and you'll find the right answer for you.

Randy

Old 09-09-2000, 09:13 AM
Thats a VERY GOOD question you ask!!
I personally use Amsoil, however, I wouldn't mind using Mobil1 if I knew it would go the same distance.

I have 10K on my Amsoil now. It still feels like it holds its original viscosity. It is discolored a bit to a darker brown.

Previously, I used Mobil1 (for years) and usually changed it at about 5K or so. BUT, the Mobil1 didn't look or feel half as good at 5K as my Amsoil at 10K! There's gotta be something to that?

I run Mobil1 in my Honda CR-V and Amsoil in my Expedition. I think I will do an oil analysis at 10K on my Amsoil and one on the Mobil1 at 5K just to compare! Could be very interesting.

Both vehicles literally drive the same route every day. About 15 miles to and from work. Same roads as well!

We use the Ford for long trips, hence the 60K vs 34K. I'm not sure if the Honda would degrade the oil faster due to higher reving 4 banger?

MSPARKS: Would this be a fair comparison? Anyone? Bueller?

------------------
Rand

98 Ford Expedition 4X4 XLT
5.4, 3.73s, 17" wheels,
Homemade 3" "COLD" Air-Box
mod, SuperChip, Amsoil
everywhere but tranny, Perma-
Cool combo 6 pass trans/oil
cooler (FQR 5.4 @ 50K)

Quick Reply: Again with the oil questions.